I'm looking for a specific fantasy story.

I only know it was a short story or possibly an excerpt from a book (published in a monthly science fiction and fantasy mag). The people lived in medieval-style surroundings and had one special magical ability.

The main protagonist's ability was that he could speak with inanimate objects (one scene involved him talking to the floor in a princess' bedroom, asking for clues after the princess had been kidnapped, and the floor refusing to answer questions pertaining to the princess's private stuff).

I seem to remember it was quite a famous fantasy author, with him being discussed at some length after the story (basically pimping his books). Anybody?
posted by slater to Writing & Language (3 answers total)

That sounds like Dor, from Piers Anthony's Xanth series. I don't remember that exact passage (it's been years and years since I read those), but I'm pretty sure it's Xanth.
posted by wanderingmind at 1:13 AM on June 14, 2005

Yeah, that's definitely a passage from one of the Xanth books. If memory serves, it's either Castle Roogna or Centaur Aisle (the 3rd and 4th books in the series).
posted by toddshot at 2:04 AM on June 14, 2005

Thanks, that was it! :)
posted by slater at 3:23 AM on June 14, 2005

« Older what do I use to put photographs in a scrapbook?   |   Stopping Amway in the workplace? Newer »