I want to colour big pictures again
October 14, 2011 6:30 AM   Subscribe

Childhood memory filter: as a kid in the early 80's we would get these fantastic posters to colour in. Each poster came in a cardboard tube with a unique set of felt tip pens to colour it. Where can I find these now?

The poster would be roughly A3 in size. If it was, for example, an underwater scene then there would be a lot of different shades of blue and green pens and one red, one yellow etc. If it was a forest scene then a lot of browns and greens etc. My brothers and I would get one each at Christmas for a couple of years, each one would take days to finish and I loved it. I'd love to have one now (for myself and my daughter). Any idea on what these were called or whether they, or something similar, are still available somewhere.
posted by HopStopDon'tShop to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (11 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: I remember those. Something like these posters seems similar.
posted by xingcat at 6:36 AM on October 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

I see these all the time. Check the markers/kid art area of your favorite big box.
posted by bluedaisy at 6:42 AM on October 14, 2011

(Or at least that's where I see them in the US.)
posted by bluedaisy at 6:43 AM on October 14, 2011

Response by poster: @xingcat - that looks very like them (same idea), but different brand etc I think.

@bluedaisy - I'm not sure what you mean by favorite big box (I don't live in the US). Sorry if I'm being a total dunce here.
posted by HopStopDon'tShop at 6:46 AM on October 14, 2011

Do you have big arts & crafts stores in your country? (In the USA it would be Michael's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, something like that--I don't know if they're international.) I've been able to get big posters like that for my kids (and husband) there.
posted by dlugoczaj at 6:52 AM on October 14, 2011

Response by poster: Nah, no big arts & crafts stores here (I'm on a little island, not many big stores of any description to be honest). I'll look around their websites and the next time I'm in the US.
posted by HopStopDon'tShop at 7:09 AM on October 14, 2011

oh! I know exactly what you are talking about. Man, I loved those! Now I shall spend all day searching for them for both of us.
posted by dawkins_7 at 7:21 AM on October 14, 2011 [1 favorite]

It looks like a possible term is "coloring poster." There are quite a few on Amazon.
posted by kendrak at 7:54 AM on October 14, 2011

Best answer: DoodleArt?
posted by jbickers at 7:55 AM on October 14, 2011 [4 favorites]

Response by poster: Ooooh, I think it could well be Doodle Art... I need to check with the family but, if so, guess what everyone's getting for Christmas 2011!
posted by HopStopDon'tShop at 8:24 AM on October 14, 2011

Sorry to be unclear--a big box store in the US is Target, Wal-Mart, that kind of place.
posted by bluedaisy at 9:06 PM on October 14, 2011

« Older How do I get enough sleep despite daily stress?   |   Post-punk Leonard Cohen? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.