Please tell me about the NYC restaurant/bar/hotel where you attended a cocktail party/office holiday party/lovely dinner/etc.

I am looking for a venue in NYC (preferably Manhattan or BK) to host a cocktail wedding reception. I've been scouring the internet and asking all my friends, but I am having a hard time finding many great options. There are almost too many places that do private events or buyouts, and I need some first-hand opinions. I turn to you, MeFites!

I am planning on having a small, family only ceremony during the day, then heading to this as yet unidentified space for a cocktail party with passed food. I need a private space that can hold approximately 130 people (either a room or restaurant buyout) that isn't super dive-y. Can you tell me about your favorite restaurant, or that place that was pretty nice where your office holiday party was, or that one bar that you like a lot but wouldn't let you in one night because they were having a private event?
posted by coupdefoudre to Food & Drink (5 answers total)

Park Avenue Taven
posted by Jahaza at 3:09 PM on October 11, 2011

I recently was at a wedding reception of about that size in the Griffis Faculty Club at Weill Cornel. The rooms were fine. The drinks were stiff. The hors d'oeuvre were delicious.
posted by The corpse in the library at 4:20 PM on October 11, 2011

Bongo, on West St. Funky Mad Men vibe, sunset views, great drinks, fantastic hors d'oeuvres.
posted by nicwolff at 11:45 PM on October 11, 2011

My brother had his wedding and reception at the Manhattan Penthouse. It was beautiful.
posted by jshort at 2:53 AM on October 12, 2011

My wedding reception was at 24 5th ave. It was very nice, and they had very good food, but it might be a little too big for you depending on how much seating you have.
posted by jefftang at 7:16 AM on October 18, 2011

« Older Your favorite funny anecdote   |   Please help me find this 1980s IBM exhibit. Newer »