I hear Mary Poppins had her policy via Traveler's.
October 10, 2011 8:29 AM   Subscribe

I need to get liability insurance to cover part-time nannying in my home.

Yeah, that's pretty much the question right there.

My preliminary research suggests that such a thing is possible under homeowner's insurance, and my one caveat here is that we rent - so I'm wondering where exactly that falls in. Where would we buy a policy that covers this? Would our landlord be liable in a potential lawsuit involving childcare provided by me in the house that he owns? Is he covered under his own homeowner's insurance?

In your answers, please assume the most paranoid possible scenario. If I'm going to be prepared to do this, it's better to be over-prepared rather than under.
posted by sonika to Work & Money (3 answers total)
You should have Contents/Tenants Insurance to cover your belongings (which are not covered by your landlord's insurance policy) already. If you don't, the same companies that provide Homeowner's Insurance provide those policies, and can provide the liability policy you're looking for, as well. Call an insurance broker in your town, or just call a couple of insurance companies directly for quotes.
posted by jacquilynne at 8:52 AM on October 10, 2011

There are standard offerings for tenants insurance, but I don't know that they would cover liability related to running a small business in your home, especially one with potential liabilities associated with caring for small children.
posted by alms at 10:52 AM on October 10, 2011

My husband (an insurance guy) says the liability coverage should be available as an endorsement on your renters policy-- call your agent to find out. You may also want to ask about an umbrella policy to provide better protection. Your landlord may or may not have protection against your business related losses, so you'll have to ask him. Your lease may have stipulations in it about what insurances you need to carry.

He adds that whenever you're not sure if you're protected against specific losses, you should call your agent.
posted by that's how you get ants at 5:11 PM on October 10, 2011

« Older You R to do this again, and again, and again...   |   "You will come whimpering to tell [what style of... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.