Website invoicing

I need to submit an invoice to a university dept for a website I made for them. What format do these usually come in? Do I just say hours x hour rate = y?
posted by Mossy to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but here is the simple invoice (MS Word .doc) format I typically use.
posted by rafter at 3:51 PM on June 9, 2005

They just want something on fancy letterhead. Bill it as you quoted the price. If you charge $X/hour, say how many hours you worked. If you charge $Y/page or $Z/site, that's all you need to put.
posted by trevyn at 4:01 PM on June 9, 2005

If you didn't quote (and get agreement on) a price, you might have a smoother time if you put $X/page or $X/megabyte or something. Some people see "$X/hour" and immediately think "wait, I get $Y per hour, and I'm way more valuable than this other guy. There's no way we should pay this much for his work."
posted by spacewrench at 4:11 PM on June 9, 2005

I usually just go with something like rafter's suggestion. Although, I make them up as I go along a lot, too.

Really, they just want SOMETHING that records the amount of money you requested of them. It's an accounting thing, and most of folks don't give a flying fuck what it looks like as long as it's clear, consistent, and simple. It's a service, so there's no tax. Just itemize, and put in costs.
posted by Netzapper at 4:45 PM on June 9, 2005

Call the department secretary and ask if they have an invoice form they'd prefer you to use, or if you should just type something up yourself.

Never underestimate the wisdom of a department secretary.
posted by mediareport at 7:25 PM on June 9, 2005

My invoices are a bit like rafter's except I go for a two-column layout; left column has client name, project, date started/completed, etc. while right column has a summary of the hours and rate.

I don't often provide a detailed list of when the actual work took place (e.g., the "20 December 04, 7:30-8:30 PM" stuff) unless a client specifically asks for it, though.

Also, depending on where you are you may have to include your tax identification number on your invoice (in the US you'll want to do that for certain).
posted by ubernostrum at 2:37 AM on June 10, 2005

Universities pay zillions of invoices, and will accept them in any reasonable form. Using the MS Word templates is fine, just be sure you bill them using reasonable units (if you agreed on $/hr or if that's the industry standard, then use that).

If you create your own invoice, be sure to include the date, an invoice number (you can just make it up) and your mailing address. I've forgotten each of them in the past.
posted by i love cheese at 5:41 AM on June 10, 2005

Thanks guys, will use the invoice format rafter kindly provided.

Now I just need to remember when I did the stuff..
posted by Mossy at 11:36 AM on June 10, 2005

« Older Hopefully that creepy dancing guy won't be there   |   Any advice on choosing a managed Exchange provider... Newer »