Bodyscanners are this good?
September 18, 2011 4:39 AM   Subscribe

Is this a real captured-image of human insides?

Do we really have common technology capable of such body scans and immediate depiction?
posted by humannaire to Technology (12 answers total)

I think it's more likely they arrested him because they suspected he had the drugs in him or he admitted it (or they had other evidence), and then they later x-rayed him at a hospital to get those pictures.
posted by EndsOfInvention at 4:41 AM on September 18, 2011 [1 favorite]

EndsOfInvention: the question is whether the technology exists, not whether it is used to actually catch smugglers. So, assume this is at a hospital post-arrest — what kind of gadgetry is involved?
posted by beagle at 5:20 AM on September 18, 2011

I think the term 'Tomographic reconstruction' may apply here.
posted by krilli at 5:24 AM on September 18, 2011

That looks like the result of a 3d PET/CT scan.
posted by the jam at 5:47 AM on September 18, 2011

Best answer: Actually, I'm wrong. On the corner of the image, it says "Sensation 64", which suggests it came from a Seimens CT scanner.
posted by the jam at 5:54 AM on September 18, 2011

Best answer: Yes, it's really a scan of human innards, but it's not from an airport scanner. Elsewhere on MSNBC, the photo is labeled "A medical-imaging photo." And the article says "Police were alerted after authorities noticed his nervous behavior, according to media reports. ... The man ... was reportedly taken to a hospital" There's another followup article on how so much could fit in his belly.
posted by theora55 at 6:13 AM on September 18, 2011

It looks like the image indicates that it was taken with oral contrast, which matches up with it having come from a CT scanner.
posted by rmd1023 at 6:35 AM on September 18, 2011

That image is a CT scan with 3D reconstruction. The image is generated via post-processing and is not the immediate output of scanner, which produces axial slices which are then, as Krilli said, tomographically reconstructed. Whilst not immediate it typically takes minutes to do once all the data has been acquired.

The technology will not have been available at the airport. He has been scanned in a standard hospital scanner with oral contrast agent, as has been pointed out, to delineate the bowel (the faint-blue grey you see in image 1).
posted by inbetweener at 7:37 AM on September 18, 2011

Another thing to note is that CT scans deliver quite a lot of ionizing radiation. They will not be employed for general use as airport security scanners for that reason.
posted by demiurge at 8:11 AM on September 18, 2011

Not all of the cocaine packets are in his stomach. Some look like they're in his lungs. That doesn't seem right.
posted by deborah at 2:49 PM on September 18, 2011

@deborah: probably still in the stomach, it's that high in the chest.
posted by knz at 4:56 PM on September 18, 2011

Response by poster: On the corner of the image, it says "Sensation 64", which suggests it came from a Seimens CT scanner.

Oh my google...so it is real!
posted by humannaire at 5:02 PM on September 18, 2011

« Older Eating our way around the West   |   Why does my spatial awareness suck? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.