Popcorn Duck

I like savoury popcorn. I don't like only putting salt on it. I also don't live near somewhere that sells the balsamic vinegar-flavoured stuff they have near work. Is there a way of buying flavour powders online? Or are there easy home recipes for nice savoury popcorn? I live in the UK so it'd have to be available or ship to here.
posted by mippy to Food & Drink (35 answers total) 28 users marked this as a favorite

Smoked paprika and olive oil is all you need.
posted by backseatpilot at 7:54 AM on September 1, 2011 [2 favorites]

Curry powder is also great.
posted by Admiral Haddock at 7:55 AM on September 1, 2011 [1 favorite]

oh super easy! pop popcorn, butter/oil, mix spices, toss over popcorn.

i really like curry popcorn.
posted by nadawi at 7:55 AM on September 1, 2011

Two words: nutritional yeast. The yums!
posted by AwkwardPause at 7:56 AM on September 1, 2011 [4 favorites]

My mom and brother go completely apeshit over popcorn tossed with Old Bay Seasoning. Here it is on Amazon UK.
posted by phunniemee at 7:57 AM on September 1, 2011 [2 favorites]

What about Parmesan cheese? It's fairly easy to acquire, and can grate extremely finely.
posted by Gilbert at 8:00 AM on September 1, 2011

Yep, I was going to recommend Old Bay Seasoning too.
posted by Jahaza at 8:01 AM on September 1, 2011

Also, possibly too obvious, but you don't mention butter.
posted by Jahaza at 8:02 AM on September 1, 2011

Bacon Salt.
I love Tabasco mixed with butter on popcorn.
posted by plinth at 8:02 AM on September 1, 2011 [1 favorite]

Ooh, you can also just use the packet from Kraft macaroni and cheese! I'm assuming you have those ubiquitous boxes in the U.K. too.
posted by Gilbert at 8:05 AM on September 1, 2011

In India the most commonly sold sort of popcorn is masala popcorn -- basically popcorn flavored with Indian spices -- just use a little turmeric, cumin and cayenne to taste (go very easy on the turmeric).
posted by peacheater at 8:06 AM on September 1, 2011 [1 favorite]

Oh and salt of course.
posted by peacheater at 8:06 AM on September 1, 2011

previously.
posted by roger ackroyd at 8:09 AM on September 1, 2011 [2 favorites]

Previously. It's an amazing popcorn-topping thread, trust me.
posted by cgg at 8:09 AM on September 1, 2011 [3 favorites]

I tried a couple of popcorn flavoring salts, but I didn't like any of the ones I tried.

My two favorites are: Olive oil, salt, garlic powder, and cayenne; and truffle oil + olive oil, and salt.

I make mine in the microwave, so I coat the kernels first, then put them in a paper bag, staple it shut, and microwave it on the popcorn setting.
posted by ernielundquist at 8:11 AM on September 1, 2011

King Arthur Flour makes an excellent cheese powder. So far I have only used it on vegetables and egg dishes, but some of the reviews say that it's great on popcorn too.

Not sure what it would cost to ship to the UK. Their customer service page lists a phone number to call for rates.
posted by LaurenIpsum at 8:18 AM on September 1, 2011

Melt some butter and mash some miso into it. Toss it onto the popcorn. Delish.
posted by The corpse in the library at 8:20 AM on September 1, 2011 [1 favorite]

Response by poster: We don't have Mac and cheese or bacon salt over here, I don;t think.

I know about butter, but I try not to use butter as a condiment if I can help it (I do rather like the butter).
posted by mippy at 8:39 AM on September 1, 2011

Garlic dill! Spritz the popcorn with olive oil and vinegar (rice wine is my vinegar of choice, but others are probably just as tasty) and sprinkle on garlic powder, dried dill and salt to taste. Tangy, savory, super delicious!

Pretty much any spice from the spice rack makes for good popcorn. Experiment by making small bowls with different spices on them. I have an oil sprayer like this which aids in getting the popcorn lightly coated with oil so spices stick without adding a ton of extra fat.
posted by radioaction at 8:49 AM on September 1, 2011

We do have bacon salt
posted by missmagenta at 9:00 AM on September 1, 2011

My favorite is granulated garlic (not powder, it's too fine), salt, & pepper. Sprinkle in the garlic with the popcorn seeds before they cook and you end up with roasted garlic flavored popcorn. Yum!
posted by sugarbiscuit at 9:14 AM on September 1, 2011 [1 favorite]

Powdered tomato added to popcorn is delicious. I get mine here, but I'm sure it's sold elsewhere.
posted by heyho at 9:50 AM on September 1, 2011

Put some nori (dried seaweed) on it. Lots of people also enjoy it with furikake (rice cracker) on it.
posted by BurnChao at 10:02 AM on September 1, 2011

popcorn is basically the best use for truffle salt (well and maybe hard boiled eggs). best with butter but just fine with a spritz of oil to make it stick.
posted by peachfuzz at 10:51 AM on September 1, 2011

In our house, after making popcorn on the stovetop (using canola oil), it goes like this: little bit of popcorn salt, a shake of Lowry's, multiple shakes of garlic powder, followed by either Penzey's California Pepper blend or Penzey's Shallot Pepper blend, and, if we have it in the pantry, nutritional yeast.
posted by mcbeth at 11:25 AM on September 1, 2011

If you are the kind of person who makes ghee, there is toasty grainy residue at the bottom of the pan, basically the browned milk solids. If you're using salted butter to make it, this brown salty stuff is the essence of awesome on popcorn.
posted by aimedwander at 11:35 AM on September 1, 2011

My favorite is to add unpeeled garlic cloves, a bay leaf, small, dried red chiles to the oil, swirl it around on medium-low heat until the oil is flavored (chile oil!) and the chiles are toasted, then turn up the heat and throw in the kernels. I top with just salt usually, but sometimes I add turmeric or ground cumin.
posted by WasabiFlux at 11:54 AM on September 1, 2011 [1 favorite]

Spritz with olive oil, sprinkle with Italian seasoning (or just crushed oregano, thyme and rosemary), throw in a handful of golden raisins or currants, yum.
posted by cyndigo at 12:02 PM on September 1, 2011

Tabasco Soy Sauce.

I was skeptical, but my brother-in-law insisted. He was right. Just the right amount of salt, a little heat, and really tasty.
posted by three blind mice at 12:59 PM on September 1, 2011

parmesan + cayenne.
posted by judith at 2:33 PM on September 1, 2011

celery salt.
posted by teraspawn at 3:48 PM on September 1, 2011

Nutritional yeast + soy sauce is my favorite for savory popcorn, but every now and again the flavoring packet from one of those Instant Ramen Noodles hits the spot - I especially like when I can find a spicy chicken one.
posted by DingoMutt at 5:23 PM on September 1, 2011

Creole Seasoning (like, say, Zatarains) is magical on popcorn. Also, many varieties of BBQ rub are delicious. Failing any of that, black pepper is pretty wonderful on popcorn.
posted by Ghidorah at 8:45 PM on September 1, 2011

Here's my recent favorite: Marcus Samuelsson's Spicy Dill Popcorn (it's just fine without the butter)
posted by jrichards at 7:24 AM on September 2, 2011

I haven't tried it yet, but 'er indoors just emailed me this recipe for jalapeƱo, lime and macadamia nut popcorn. (which was what inspired me to come looking for AskMes with popcorn recipes...)
posted by UbuRoivas at 7:15 PM on October 12, 2011

« Older Overseas MediFilter - Dental & Hair...   |   Aroint thee, carbs! Newer »