Ideas are more powerful than weapons. If we wouldn't let the enemy have weapons, why should we let him have ideas?

Where can I buy reasonably priced reproductions of these Soviet propaganda posters?

I enjoy collecting propaganda posters and I have a particular fascination with Russian designs from 1917 through WWII. There are several that I cannot find for under $50. See the works entitled "To Defend the USSR" and "Work is Essential, the Rifle is Near" here.

I can buy the former through amazon but it costs $60 for an 18x24 print which is a little ridiculous. I can't find the latter at all. My top priority is those two, but I'm always interested in others.
posted by WhitenoisE to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I was going to suggest The Museum of Communism but their online store seems to be broken. Are you anywhere near Prague?
posted by Obscure Reference at 7:48 AM on August 24, 2011

^I'm in Massachusetts. That does look like a good resource though. I'll email them about their store.

JJ86: Wow, that's a buy. I spent a long time browsing amazon and I completely missed that. I'm not sure which posters it includes but it's still worth it. Thanks!
posted by WhitenoisE at 10:28 AM on August 24, 2011

The Art Institute of Chicago is currently running an exhibition of WWII Soviet TASS posters. Oddly, they don't seem to be offering any full-size reproductions for sale, at least online; but you can buy a handsome book of the posters.
posted by Iridic at 12:30 PM on August 24, 2011

« Older Oh no, I see a darkness. Oh no, I see a darkness....   |   Brown well water after earthquake Newer »