Awesome notebooks, I wish I could quit you, but I love you too damn much.
August 23, 2011 6:34 AM   Subscribe

Please help me find spiral notebooks that are bound at the top and have thick/heavy covers. Details within!

I have a couple that I got in my tiny college's bookstore 10-15 years ago, and I love them. Since I graduated and left, I've always kept my eyes peeled for this style of notebook, but it's quite hard to find. I've looked online, too, to no avail, but I know y'all are better googlers than I!

They are full-size notebooks with spiral binding across the top edge. The paper is college-ruled notebook paper punched with 3 holes and microperforated (again, across the top edge) for easy page removal. Across the bottom of the cover it says:
1 section * one double pocket * 80 sheets * recycle paper * college ruled * 1-0335
Most importantly, the cover and the back are made of thick, heavy cardboard, making them easy to write on in a variety of positions and without the benefit of a hard table or desk.

Mead used to make a top-bound spiral notebook -- it was okay but the cover and back were very flexible and I didn't like it as much as these other ones. I haven't seen it for sale in years, though.

I'm going to call up my alma mater's bookstore, too, but it's the first week of school up there and I know they are slammed, so I am hoping someone else can help me find this in the meantime! Thanks, guys!!
posted by hansbrough to Shopping (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
Something like these?
posted by xingcat at 6:39 AM on August 23, 2011

And these look a little more heavy-duty.
posted by xingcat at 6:40 AM on August 23, 2011

OfficeMax has these.
posted by jenny76 at 6:45 AM on August 23, 2011

I get them at Staples. Ampad® Gold Fibre Spiral writing pad. Can't quite find the same model online, but this looks much the same with a better (heaver) cover.
posted by yerfatma at 6:48 AM on August 23, 2011

And these look pretty heavy-duty.
posted by jenny76 at 6:48 AM on August 23, 2011

Miquelrius makes notebooks like these, I think.
posted by elizardbits at 6:49 AM on August 23, 2011

What you are looking for is generally called a stenographer's notebook.
posted by TedW at 7:17 AM on August 23, 2011

Response by poster: Thanks everyone so far! Steno pads are okay, except I've only seen them for sale in the smaller 6x9 size. :( I definitely want full-size sheets of paper (8.5x11).

Keep 'em coming! Thank you again!!
posted by hansbrough at 7:19 AM on August 23, 2011

I just found these at Quill.

Or, if cost is little object, stop by your local print shop, and get a quote for having your own made. That way, you can get exactly what you want.
posted by China Grover at 9:16 AM on August 23, 2011

You can get steno pads at 8.5"x11". E.g. these branded for U. of Illinois
posted by asciident at 3:11 PM on August 23, 2011

Response by poster: Hi folks, thanks so much for all these suggestions!

After much research, I found these Silverpoint wirebound legal pads had the best/heaviest back cover. They're not 3-hole-punched, but that is their only flaw!!
posted by hansbrough at 4:35 PM on January 9, 2012

« Older Therapist for Couples Work in Switzerland   |   Can I play it? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.