What happened to my orgasm?
August 20, 2011 5:57 PM   Subscribe

Can an orgasm change?

25 year old female. The feeling of my orgasm has recently changed. It still happens physiologically, but it's not pleasurable at all. Nearly even painful. I might have gotten some shower cleaner down there it accidentally. Could this have damaged the nerves? Could it be due to a yeast infection or something else? I really don't think this is psychological. It changed suddenly and is still happening, just doesn't feel the same. Help!
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (8 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Hi! Please go see a doctor.
posted by killdevil at 6:20 PM on August 20, 2011 [8 favorites]

Neither shower cleaner nor a yeast infection will change the experience of your orgasm. But I would still go see your GYN to rule out a physiological cause. It could be a fibroid, endo, or something else that is actually changing your sensations.

But it could just be a phase. Orgasm is at the core a physical response. It's a muscular contraction. You can have an orgasm while bored, distracted, angry, whatever. If you don't have all of the swimmy brain chemistry going on with it, it's just... a muscular contraction with no endorphins. Has the circumstance of your orgasm changed? Are you sure this is not just situational?
posted by DarlingBri at 6:34 PM on August 20, 2011 [1 favorite]

See a doctor. It could be anything from an infection to a tumor to lack of lubrication. See a doctor ASAP.

And yes, as a woman, it is not uncommon for your orgasms to change in frequency and intensity as you get older (for many of us they actually get better), but PAIN is not a good sign and it needs to be addressed by a professional.
posted by evilcupcakes at 6:55 PM on August 20, 2011

This happened to me - and the change was pretty sudden, too. It was endo. See a doctor.
posted by guster4lovers at 7:26 PM on August 20, 2011

Mine changed when I went on an SSRI. You should see a doctor, though!
posted by two lights above the sea at 8:54 PM on August 20, 2011

Is it possible you have a UTI?
posted by joeyjoejoejr at 6:27 AM on August 21, 2011

Have you started riding a bicycle recently? Pressure from the bicycle seat can cause changes in your clitoris and/or sexual response. It's enough of an issue that they make special bicycle seats to deal with this.
Allergies are another thing that can affect sexual response. And allergies can develop at any point in your life.
posted by MexicanYenta at 7:52 PM on August 21, 2011

Yes, orgasm can feel different if you have a yeast infection, almost painful is a good description in my experience.

Lots of others things impact also like certain drugs, alcohol use, can you schedule a visit to your OB/GYN or practice nurse?

In the UK there are walk-in sexual health clinics where you can get help and if it were for example a yeast infection, walk out with the drugs/creams/pessaries to help.
posted by Wilder at 7:41 AM on August 22, 2011

« Older New textbook video   |   Should I let my fiance know about my bisexuality? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.