I fail as an engineer..
August 10, 2011 9:45 AM   Subscribe

I have a large LCD monitor that doesn't swivel. I need a stand to put it in portrait mode. I can't think of what to Google for. Do'h.

I have a recently-freed-up 30-inch Apple Cinema Display as a second monitor, to go along with an identical first monitor. (I know, embarrassment of riches.) Problem is, I like my second monitor to be in portrait orientation for viewing my inbox and calendar-- in that orientation, it's roughly similar to two stacked 3:4 monitors.

I don't really want a solution that involves mounting a VESA adapter and a swivelly arm on my desk, mostly because I don't want to spend that much (thanks, Apple) and I don't think I can pass that off as a covered expense. Basically, I want a super-heavy-duty plate/book stand that holds the monitor close to 90 degrees. I don't need to adjust the tilt (assuming that it's roughly perpendicular to the desk), but I would like to be able to move it around on my desk.

The monitor is roughly 2" thick (actually a bit over 1.75) with a 7/8" bezel, so some sort of stabilizing feet with a 2" slot would be fine as well. If I had a band saw, I could do that in no time. My only other thought was to get small pipe clamps and clamp them around the bezel. Doesn't seem super secure, though.

Any ideas?
posted by supercres to Computers & Internet (7 answers total)
Something like this should work, if you don't mind attaching the arm to a wall. I believe you might need something like this to adapt the monitor to the arm, though, but you can check if your monitor is VESA compliant.
posted by procrastination at 9:54 AM on August 10, 2011

I'm half inclined to build something like this for mine.
posted by jeffamaphone at 10:09 AM on August 10, 2011

Response by poster: Just to clarify: this monitor isn't VESA compatible without a $30 adapter. $30 is $20 more than I'd like to spend, total.
posted by supercres at 11:20 AM on August 10, 2011

I'm imagining something like jeffamaphone's suggestion made out of 3/4" plywood. The horizontal piece has a groove routed [or sawn] into it for the monitor to sit in, and it leans against a vertical piece. Maybe you get fancy and make that vertical piece adjustable.

If you've got the tools [probably just need a circular saw, drill, screwdriver and some screws], all you need is a 2x2 sheet of 3/4" plywood. I haven't priced it lately, but a 4x8 sheet would be something like $40, so maybe a little one is < $10.
posted by chazlarson at 12:25 PM on August 10, 2011

Plywood can be had for way less than $40 at the 4'x8' size. Just depends on your quality requirements.

Also, try to find used computer hardware shops in your area. The kind of place where everything is second hand, and there are just piles of wires and boards everywhere. Those places usually sell second hand equipment cheap, you can negotiate, and you may be able to mod it to suit your needs.
posted by jeffamaphone at 10:50 AM on August 11, 2011

Yeah, I haven't bought any for a while, and that number in my head probably came from an AskMe where someone was looking for fancy clear birch plywood or somesuch.
posted by chazlarson at 12:02 PM on August 11, 2011

I don't own or have access to a Cinema Display, or even know if this is the same model, but I did run across a $0 solution.
posted by Perplexer at 12:33 PM on August 11, 2011

« Older How do you deal with anti-intellectual parents?   |   Missing: iPad buttons Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.