How do I get Windows Media Player off of my system?

I'd like to permanently eradicate Windows Media Player from my system. Is this even possible?

I'm running Windows XP SP 1.
posted by baphomet to Technology (4 answers total)

have you gone to add/remove programs and clicked on the thing about adding/removing windows components? on win2k, at least, that appears to let you remove it.
posted by andrew cooke at 3:23 PM on May 29, 2005

yeah theres a sorta separate thingy to click on in add/remove programs about windows components. then you go into details and you can uncheck it.
posted by 31d1 at 9:33 PM on May 29, 2005

Ha. Go into /Program Files/Windows Media Player and try deleting mplayer.exe. It will magically reappear. Even overwriting it with another, better file doesn't seem to work.
posted by Civil_Disobedient at 9:55 PM on May 29, 2005

If you're willing to throw some money at the problem, you could check out XPLite (shareware, but the free version offers very limited options). Years ago, I used those folks' 98Lite to make an extremely stripped-down Windows install, and was quite happy with it.
posted by box at 6:10 AM on May 30, 2005

« Older Mint Juleps In Toronto   |   Cord/small gauge rope that doesn't deteriorate in... Newer »