What is the best and most useful dental insurance for an individual living in California who is anticipating getting all his upper teeth pulled and falsies put in?

Pretty much just that.
I am looking for the best value, bag for buck, usability, etc.
It's time to take care of this once and for all.
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (3 answers total)

I don't think you understand how private dental insurance works. You cannot just sign up and then go get $10,000 of work done. It does not work that way, and if you think about it for a second, it should be obvious why. Major work is usually not covered for 6-18 months, depending on your premium (pay more and they cover quicker) but even at that the best coverage you will get for that kind of work is probably 50%, after the deductible is covered. When you factor in up to 18 months of premiums plus the deductible, insurance will be covering about 1/3 of the cost.
posted by COD at 4:59 AM on August 1, 2011

on top of what COD says, 99% of dental plans are all going to be the same, there is really no variety in dental and vision plans (unlike health insurance). I mean there is going to be some variety in co-pays, deductibles, waiting periods, etc. but every dental insurance company is going to have all those plans.

If I were you I'd find a dentist that you like and then ask them what their favorite insurance company is and go with that. Prices between companies for the same plans are going to vary on the scale of $10 per year.
posted by magnetsphere at 6:41 AM on August 1, 2011

In addition to the limitations that COD mentioned, most plans also limit their annual payouts to $1500. You might find one up to $2000.
posted by CathyG at 7:20 AM on August 1, 2011

« Older "We do what we must because we can"   |   How can I find my relative's military service... Newer »