Does anyone know how to replicate Umami Burger pickled mushrooms?

Umami Burger pickled mushrooms. Does anyone have a similar recipe?

I ate at Umami Burger yesterday for lunch, and while the truffle burger was pretty tasty, the pickle plate to start things off blew my mind. In particular the pickled (I assume pickled, since they were on the Pickle Plate) mushrooms were fantastic, a little sweet, a little tangy and meaty, firm and toothsome. I really want to replicate them at home, has anyone already done this and have a recipe to share?
posted by tcskeptic to Food & Drink (4 answers total) 12 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: Try chowhound.com, they are great with questions like this. Barring that, give umami burger a call and ask them. You would be surprised to find out that alot of places will give out recipes.
posted by TheBones at 7:49 PM on July 29, 2011

Response by poster: So, Thanks! TheBones, emailing them worked. I am attaching it here for anyone who may run across this question:

What you need:

3 cups dried shiitakes, steeped for 15 minutes in boiling water
1 cup chicken broth
½ cup sugar
½ cup Japanese soy sauce
½ cup sherry vinegar
1 3-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled

Slice the shiitake caps into 1/8-inch-thick slices (discard the stems).

Combine broth, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and shiitake slices in a saucepan. Turn the heat to medium, being to a simmer and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Let cool.

Discard the ginger and pack the shiitakes (and as much of the liquid as necessary to cover them) into a container. These pickled shiitakes are ready to eat immediately and will keep, refrigerated, for at least 1 month.
posted by tcskeptic at 8:48 PM on July 29, 2011 [24 favorites]

Thank you for posting that, my wife loves picked mushrooms.
posted by TheBones at 8:57 AM on July 30, 2011

*pickled
posted by TheBones at 8:58 AM on July 30, 2011

« Older Does the following food meet all my nutritional...   |   Seven Dwarves in K-Town Newer »