Another Name-that-(SFF)-Novel Question

Name this fantasy novel series, or possibly two series. A religious war, a sultan with a harem, the hero's wife is kidnapped and ends up in the harem and later his wife's daughter is offered to him in marriage. More recalled details after the jump.

The basic setup is a generic-medievalish-Europeans-vs.-generic-medievalish-Turks. A man is separated from his wife, who he thinks is dead but in a later book we find out has been kidnapped and ended up the favorite concubine in the sultan's harem. The man ends up, in some fashion, in charge of some cavalry (my husband insists they're heavy cavalry and thinks they wore red) for the Europeanish side, and rapidly rises to lead the entire army (or a large part of it) through his amazing talents, and maybe is made king of some sort and offered his wife's daughter (maybe his own daughter?) by the sultan as part of a peace treaty thing.

Here's where my husband and I part ways. The following may either be part of the same series, or there may be two series that I'm conflating but my husband isn't. (We'd like to know the names of both series if it's two.) *I* think this is part of a five-book series we both read that ALSO features a plot about the age-of-exploration, driven by a religious desire to settle and evangelize. The Catholic Church-analogue is run by some not-very-moral individuals, but we don't find out until later how immoral. Most of the first book is about setting off to try to discover the North America-analogue, led by a captain whose name may be Hawk-something or Something-hawk? While they're dorking about in the new world, things are exploding back on the home continent and this holy war is heating up and the above plot is going on. In the New World, they discover some beast people, and it turns out that the beast people have infiltrated the Catholic Church-analogue and maybe the Pope-guy is a beast person? And one of the things that distinguishes the beast people is (I'm not kidding) they like to have gay anal sex, which makes them extra hypocrites because they teach against gay sex. And anal sex. Also lots of people want to have sex with the ship's boy who may kill one of them, I don't quite recall. anyway, to rise to the highest ranks of the church, this particularly distasteful clergyman who's loosely running the expedition to the new world has to submit to anal sex with the beast person religious superior. I think the humans mostly escape the new world ahead of the beast people and the beast people already in the old world lose the war. Then at the very end, the guy who's been leading the cavalry wanders off to the east and finds a campfire where a Jesus-analogue and a Mohammed-analogue are hanging out and maybe he's a religious figure too now.

If they're two separate series, my husband read the first one mentioned about 10 years ago but it may be older. The second series (or if it's one series, the only series) we read six years ago, in mass market paperback, so probably somewhat older. There were definitely five books in the "second" (or only) series.
posted by Eyebrows McGee to Writing & Language (5 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Best answer: I swear to god I'm reading this series right now, though I'm only on book two and if so this question contained a shitload of spoilers. Is the series you're thinking of the Monarchies of God by Paul Kearney? Hawkwood plot is exploration of a western continent. Corfe plot is cavalry guy leading heavy horse of savages wearing red uniforms and his wife who he thought dead is currently in the sultan's harem, though no daughter has appeared just yet.
posted by slide at 9:55 PM on July 26, 2011

Best answer: Link
posted by slide at 9:57 PM on July 26, 2011

Response by poster: You got it! THANK YOU! Although take comfort, from the summaries, I seem incorrect on some details.

However, I love that I was right about this being one series!
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 10:31 PM on July 26, 2011

If you *are* conflating, I would point out that the first paragraph also contains many of the plot points of Bertrice Small's Adora--so much so that I initially came over here to tell you that you were definitely mixing up two books/series, as Small's book isn't part of a series.

Disclaimer: I work for the company that recently did a re-release of Adora.
posted by MeghanC at 11:11 PM on July 26, 2011

Response by poster: Yes, I do agree that the first plot could be something else still ... my husband says it's like a Raymond Feist novel/series, too, but he's sure it's not that. Anyway, the Wikipedia summary made him think I'm right that it is the one series.
posted by Eyebrows McGee at 7:24 AM on July 27, 2011

« Older How do I make this shape in Powerpoint?   |   Mailing Items to China Newer »