Help me get the book-smarts for a job in web merchandising

Looking for book/author/website recommendations on email marketing, search analytics, trend recognition, and content curation. The job I am preparing for is in Merchandising, at an ecommerce website dedicated to fashion, art, and design.

The position is entry-level and they are cool with me having zero experience in this field, but I want to work on my book-smarts to have at least the basic knowledge to not look too lost on meetings.

What would you consider the quintessential and/or best basic book/website/author on each of these subjects:
- Email marketing
- Search analytics
- Trend recognition
- Content curation

Suggestions of other areas of study are appreciated as well.

PS - Anonymous because this is still on the DL and coworkers on current job are mefites :-)
posted by anonymous to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

Search Analytics - Web Analytics: An Hour a Day by Avinash Kaushik and Web Metrics by Jim Sterne

Content curation - The Elements of Content Strategy by Erin Kissane
posted by fifteen schnitzengruben is my limit at 10:14 AM on July 26, 2011

Here's some books I've found useful in a marketing/merchandising role:

Data-Driven Marketing: The 15 Metrics Everyone in Marketing Should Know
Competing on Analytics: The New Science of Winning
The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing
Predictably Irrational
Analytics at Work: Smarter Decisions, Better Results
Marketing Metrics: The Definitive Guide to Measuring Marketing Performance
posted by Ghostride The Whip at 12:04 PM on July 26, 2011

« Older Political ad/video with kids working adult jobs   |   Audio problems with an Apple display monitor Newer »