Crowdsourcing design work for a film poster?

I'm needing some film poster design work done; does anyone have suggestions for crowdsourcing? I used to see ads for a service where you paid a flat fee and got a large number of submissions from various designers (maybe $250 for 100 submissions or something?), then could purchase one of the designs for another amount. Does anyone else remember seeing that service advertise on Facebook? I can't find it now.
posted by michaeldunaway to Media & Arts (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Are you looking for Crowdspring (currently down, so here's the cache)? To help your search, I believe this is called spec work.
posted by Houstonian at 5:09 AM on July 14, 2011

Dern it! problems with spec work.
posted by gregglind at 6:15 AM on July 14, 2011

I think a better solution would be to find a local designer who's willing to do the work in exchange for public acknowledgement. Considering the project (film poster), I'm sure you could find a designer who'd work for free, just to have his name attached. The bonus is you'll get someone who truly cares about the design.
posted by davebush at 6:55 AM on July 14, 2011

[few comments removed - do not turn this into a fight about spec work. OP Is not anon, you may email them.]
posted by jessamyn (staff) at 7:19 AM on July 14, 2011

I've used 99 designs before (because I've yet to find a reliable designer) and it was OK but I found that unless you're offering quite a lot over the minimum you're not going to get a lot of takers - if you look at some of the projects up, even though they look like they've got a lot of entries, its really just the same 2 or 3 designers tweaking the same design over and over - the highest number of submissions I saw was 73 but that was just from 5 designers, in total there were less than 10 distinctly different designs. I suspect most services like this will be similar.
posted by missmagenta at 7:45 AM on July 14, 2011

You can get it done at Worth1000. It looks geared towards logos, but they do other things too (I see there's a brochure design contest up now).
posted by bjrn at 2:25 AM on July 15, 2011

« Older Things to do in 5 days in Cappadocia   |   Looking for family-focused memoirs Newer »