Movies to grow by?

What movies should I show my daughter to introduce her to art-house/world/indie cinema?

So my daughter is turning sixteen this month and she's becoming interested in movies a little more highbrow than Twilight... I'd like to have movie nights with her, showing some of the canonical films of world cinema, and I'm looking for your recommendations.
My candidates so far, randomly:
Bycicle Thieves
Dr. Strangelove
Closely Watched Trains
Day for Night
Brother Sun, Sister Moon
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Seven Samurai
La Strada
(I'd like to pick movies with a reasonable expectation of appealing to a teenage girl who loved Donnie Darko, Junebug, Napoleon Dynamite and all things Miyazaki.) What else?
posted by Finder to Media & Arts (70 answers total) 63 users marked this as a favorite

Lolita
Brutti sporchi e cattivi
Un Chien Andalou
A Clockwork Orange
Dogtooth
The Fall
Harakiri
Ran
Rashomon
The Remains of the Day
The Triplets of Belleville
Tristram Shandy
Yojimbo

Or pretty much anything from Criterion's Essential Art House collection.
posted by Foci for Analysis at 6:47 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

Diabolique.
The Bride Wore Black.
posted by crush-onastick at 6:52 AM on July 10, 2011

The Graduate.
Dog Day Afternoon.
Harold & Maude.
Rushmore.
posted by gerryblog at 6:53 AM on July 10, 2011

These not-so-Hollywood teenage movies stand out to me, but use your discretion obviously:
The Virgin Suicides
Ghost World
The Rules of Attraction
Boys Don't Cry
Thirteen
posted by knile at 6:54 AM on July 10, 2011

What are her interests now? Those are all great films, but if your daughter is anything like I was at sixteen, she'll want to watch an "art-house" movie for the same reasons she'd want to watch any movie. The subject matter appeals to her interests (example: a love of French or Italian culture would probably lean her towards Truffaut/Fellini), or it's in a genre she typically likes (if she likes movies about movies, she'll like Day for Night), or maybe it's just something she's heard was cool or good (from a source other than her dad).

If she's new to this sort of film, I'd start with movies that are more like movies she's used to and less... weird. When I was around sixteen my friends and I dove headlong into midcentury "Art House" cinema with Ingmar Bergman. Wow. Yeah.

Instead you might want to start with the iconic Godard Stuff - like maybe Band à Part or Breathless - some Truffaut, La Strada, maybe Dr. Strangelove if she likes war movies/historically significant political commentary (I love Dr. Strangelove now, but it was definitely not my cup of tea as a Dazed and Confused and Baz Luhrman loving teenager). Wings of Desire seems like it might be really well suited for a teenage girl. Stories with compelling characters and plots that do what she expects movie plots to do. You guys can watch Weekend and The Seventh Seal together when she's a little older.
posted by Sara C. at 6:57 AM on July 10, 2011 [3 favorites]

A teenager who's already into some quirky movies might find the Jeunet & Caro films to be a good entryway into French cinema. Delicatessen or City of Lost Children, perhaps. These are strange, hyperkinetic, visually engaging films.

I'd like to think that teenage me would have really dug the energy of the early nouvelle vague films, particularly Band of Outsiders or Shoot the Piano Player. But it's equally possible that they would have seemed strangely quaint to teenage me, their innovations shugged off as old-fashioned. Hey, I was sixteen. What did I know?
posted by .kobayashi. at 6:59 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

One more: Annie Hall.
posted by gerryblog at 7:03 AM on July 10, 2011

Spirited Away
posted by ghharr at 7:07 AM on July 10, 2011 [2 favorites]

Life is Beautiful ( is great and accessible)
The Red Shoes
Koyaanisqatsi
posted by Benny Andajetz at 7:07 AM on July 10, 2011

You mentioned that she already likes Miyazaki, so I'd say you don't really need to "do" all that much to satisfy your intent. Granted, many Americans don't consider anything animated "serious", but it definitely goes way beyond the standard Hollywood tripe.

Anyway, how about the foreign originals of a few that she might already know?
Ringu (The Ring)
Honogurai No Mizu Soko Kara (Dark Water)
Anthony Zimmer (French, The Tourist)
Alice (Jan Svankmajer's very bizarre version of Alice in Wonderland)
Infernal Affairs (Hong Kong, The Departed)
Lat den ratte komma in / Let the Right One In (Let Me In)
posted by pla at 7:10 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

Yeah, 70's Woody Allen stuff is also great, though not really "art house" in the sense that your other titles are. But Annie Hall in particular is a good jumping off point for other more avant-garde films of the 60's and 70's. I'd also suggest Sleeper, which is not art house either but charming as hell and is so of its time that it's probably a good intro to the New Wave.

Easy Rider is another good suggestion, as are Midnight Cowboy and Bonnie and Clyde.

What about Clerks and some of the more down and dirty 90's indie films? Like not so much Pulp Fiction, which I assume she'll have seen by now, but maybe Kids*, anything by Jim Jarmusch, or Cinema Paradiso.

*Note: Do not watch Kids with your daughter. Just give her the DVD and wish her luck.
posted by Sara C. at 7:14 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

8 1/2
Casablanca
Sunset Boulevard
posted by GreyWingnut at 7:20 AM on July 10, 2011

I loved Kikujiro when I was younger.
posted by DeltaForce at 7:29 AM on July 10, 2011

Kwaidan
Coraline (Selick)
The Tree of Wooden Clogs (Oletski)
The Street of Crocodiles (Quay Brothers)
Prospero's Books (Greenaway)
City of Women (Fellini)
The Return of Martin Guerre
The Life of Oharu (Ozu)
posted by effluvia at 7:31 AM on July 10, 2011

Whisper of the Heart is an often overlooked Studio Ghibli film (not a Miyazaki film) which I recommend to everyone. I second Sara C's point about letting her follow her interests. That's how I got into world cinema. Oh, but also go see films with her in a cinema, if there are interesting films being shown close to where you live (especially if there's an independent arthouse cinema somewhere near you).

As to specific films... Kikujiro is a quirky, wonderful comedy by Takeshi Kitano. Tampopo is another great Japanese comedy, a sort of noodle-shop western. I also second Bande à part. Truffaut is great too. Jules et Jim remains wonderful.
posted by Kattullus at 7:31 AM on July 10, 2011

I tried to keep to films I'd seen at a similar age - or if they're more recent, shouldn't overload her. But you will be watching together, right? Or at least knowing what she's watching, when she's watching it? Some of these films are very lighthearted, but some blew me away and discussion was necessary.

Die Bleierne Zeit aka Marianne and Juliane aka The German Sisters, directed by Margarethe von Trotta
Hiroshima Mon Amour, directed by Alain Resnais
Okuribito (Departures), directed by Yôjirô Takita
Die Ehe der Maria Braun (The Marriage of Maria Braun), directed by Rainer Werner Fassbinder
True Stories, directed by David Byrne
Kagemusha, directed by Akita Kurosawa
Bagdad Café aka Out of Rosenheim, directed by Percy Adlon
Paris, Texas, directed by Wim Wenders
Enchanted April, directed by Mike Newell
Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, directed by Tom Stoppard

Seconding Brutti, sporchi et cattivi and A Clockwork Orange and Delicatessen and City of Lost Children. Noting that other works by almost all of the directors cited in the thread are also very worth looking at, but should be vetted by you beforehand. Warning that - for example - Fellini's works include things such as Satyricon, which are most emphatically NOT suited to 16-year-olds.
posted by likeso at 7:35 AM on July 10, 2011

I'm going to come out and suggest that sixteen year olds are old enough to see just about anything, or at least to have self-determination over this sort of thing. I don't know that I'd sit her in front of Caligula or the various cannibal exploitation flicks just for funnsies, but I wouldn't be over-worried about her exposure to graphic sex or violence. In two years, she'll be in college, where if she's interested in film she'll be watching this stuff as part of her classwork. She's probably seen porn already.

Certainly you're going to find it difficult if not impossible to accomplish the goal set forth in your question if you also want to take MPAA rating into consideration.

Bad memories of a high school friend's born again mom stomping out into the living room and making us shut off Chasing Amy when she realized it was about lesbianism.
posted by Sara C. at 7:43 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

Trust by Hal Hartley
posted by lslelel at 7:44 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

Another potentially interesting way into French cinema might be through the crime films of Jean-Pierre Melville. Especially Le Doulos and Bob le Flambeur, both of which have interesting plots, engaging characters and almost do what you'd expect crime/caper movies to do. If these work, then the advanced classwork leads to Le Samouraï, which is a stone classic, if a bit more deliberately paced.

An aside: I am now seriously contemplating whether all my carefully planned Sunday events and chores should be jettisoned aside in favor of an impromptu Jean-Pierre Melville film festival right here at the .kobayashi. couch.
posted by .kobayashi. at 7:49 AM on July 10, 2011

Eh, forgot to add directors Carlos Saura's and Pedro Almodovar's works. Great stuff.

Oh, and I'm definitely not advocating censorship, Sara C. But speaking as someone who did see Caligula at 16, without supervision or discussion... um, be available for discussion, and try to keep Caligula and Satyricon for a tad later on. Wasn't so much the sexual components as the brutality, the utter harshness that completely shocked me.
posted by likeso at 7:49 AM on July 10, 2011

I started watching art house movies when I was 16. (And I just realized that a list of art house movies that I loved when I was 16 would date me to the year.) But I guess that, for me, this was a kind of crucial moment in my development as a grown-up art appreciator. It corresponded with my starting to read more serious reviews than those in the daily paper and trying to figure out what sounded like I something I would like. It was the moment when I started figuring out my taste, independent from what my peers liked or my parents and teachers considered worthy. And I'm not sure that I love the idea of that process of discovery being supervised by a parent. So what if you gave her one of those books that lists the best movies ever made (like this one from the NYTimes) and had her pick out things that looked intriguing to her?
posted by craichead at 7:54 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

Patricia Rozema, "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing."

Richard Linklater, "Slacker."

Gregg Araki, "Nowhere."
posted by jayder at 7:57 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

I like craichead's idea - allowing her to discover things herself is always a good idea.

I'm guessing that my use of the word "vetting" is being associated with the word "supervision" and is triggering some folks' hate of censorship. But what I am in favor of is providing context (be available for discussion, introduce some of the more difficult material by saying this portrays only one aspect of life on the planet, etc.) for anything that might be outside of her current comfort zone. And believe me, most of the great films in this thread will be outside her current comfort zone. Kinda the point.
posted by likeso at 8:01 AM on July 10, 2011

Anything Hitchcock! I'd say The Lady Vanishes is a great starting point.

If I were the Culture Secretary I would make it so that parents were legally obliged to watch A Matter of Life and Death with their children.

Lastly, I don't think anyone has mentioned The 100 Blows, but yeah - that.
posted by dumdidumdum at 8:05 AM on July 10, 2011

Also, take her to the cinema with you (if she wants). There's something magical about catching that obscure rep screening you wouldn't otherwise see - especially if it's silent with live accompaniment!
posted by dumdidumdum at 8:08 AM on July 10, 2011

Lots of great recommendations here-- I'll add that when I was sixteen, I was obsessed with Luc Besson, Jean-Jacques Beneix, and cinéma du look in general. Léon is a great place to start for that.

But also: is there an art cinema in your area? Going out to a film can be a great way to indicate that it's special, it'll mean that she's seeing new things and not just absorbing the classics, and it'll mean that you're watching films that neither of you have seen before, which may be more fun for you and lead to more interesting conversations.
posted by dizziest at 8:09 AM on July 10, 2011

Response by poster: Oh man-not one response I would not want to mark as best, thank you!
Annie Hall-I forgot I watched that movie about fifteen times when I was her age..
>Easy Rider is another good suggestion, as are Midnight Cowboy and Bonnie and Clyde.
Absolutely.
>*Note: Do not watch Kids with your daughter. Just give her the DVD and wish her luck.
Too late...
>Or pretty much anything from Criterion's Essential Art House collection.
Thank you-I forgot about that.
>I'm going to come out and suggest that sixteen year olds are old enough to see just about
>anything, or at least to have self-determination over this sort of thing
Couldn't agree more.
>So what if you gave her one of those books that lists the best movies ever made
>(like this one from the NYTimes) and had her pick out things that looked intriguing to her?
Really good idea, thanks.
posted by Finder at 8:09 AM on July 10, 2011

Response by poster: >Lots of great recommendations here-- I'll add that when I was sixteen, I was obsessed with Luc
>Besson, Jean-Jacques Beneix, and cinéma du look in general. Léon is a great place to start for
>that.
I thought about Leon the Professional, but I'm not sure how she would interpret the relationship between the Leon and the girl-what did you think when you saw it back than? (Female perspective, I assume?)
posted by Finder at 8:18 AM on July 10, 2011

Response by poster: likeso, I understand your point, hence the "movie night" thing with me.
posted by Finder at 8:23 AM on July 10, 2011

Chiming in about Leon - honestly, I think she's the perfect age to see it, and I think the young girl protagonist and the grey area of what, exactly, their relationship was is part of what makes it such a powerful film to watch as a young woman.

It did not, in any way, make me want to go out and fuck middle aged men. Just as Kids didn't make me want to do drugs and/or have indiscriminate sex, Trainspotting didn't make me want to be a heroin addict, etc etc etc etc for any of the seminal indie films of the 80's-90's that deal with deviance as the main theme.
posted by Sara C. at 8:29 AM on July 10, 2011

yep, female perspective, and i was more interested in the girl as a character than in her relationship to léon, because i thought she was totally badass (also La Femme Nikita) and while it was clear that they were fond of each other, i don't remember it seeming inappropriate. i do remember loving the idea of the plant as a token of affection, but i never thought about it as a creepy kind of affection.
posted by dizziest at 8:29 AM on July 10, 2011

eep. sorry for the endless italics!
posted by dizziest at 8:30 AM on July 10, 2011

Finder, yep, I assumed as much - I was clarifying my Satyricon stance for Sara C.

(and in total agreement with Sara C. and dizziest about Leon)
posted by likeso at 8:31 AM on July 10, 2011

I second Hitchcock, especially Rear Window and The Birds. I also second City of Lost Children and Life is Beautiful.

Anything by Terry Gilliam

There are a lot of popular films that are geared toward teens or younger people that she may have missed because of when they were released. While they may not be art films, they're going to be a lot more fulfilling than Twilight. I'm thinking here of things like...

Bend it Like Beckham
Heathers
Saved
Harold and Maude

If she can handle horror, you could go with Alien, Halloween (the original of course), Rosemary's Baby, The Thing. Watching horror as a teen is how I got interested in film.

And I really liked Charlie Chaplin films when I was a teenager. You could get her started there with a little film history.
posted by guitareste at 8:36 AM on July 10, 2011

Response by poster: guitareste-she's been fed a steady diet of Chaplin since, I don't know, birth..
posted by Finder at 8:45 AM on July 10, 2011

Response by poster: Sara C.-thanks: I was just concerned she'd find it "kinda creepy." And yeah, Trainspotting was my "drug talk" when she was fourteen. If that scene when they find the baby doesn't turn her off drugs then nothing will. In any case, should work better than Reefer Madness...
posted by Finder at 8:57 AM on July 10, 2011

Since you're doing it together, and she has some interest already, how about going about it in a different way than just "Hey, here's some great films! And here's some more!" For instance, I would definitely suggest "The 400 Blows": early work by one of the seminal French directors, about a teenager, and also -- amazingly enough -- the first time anyone ended a movie with a freeze frame. (And what a cliche that is now.) If she likes it, get the other films starring Jean-Pierre Léaud, and other films by Truffaut. And then watch "Breathless." And then talk: how are they different? How are they the same compared to American films about young people? There are so many interesting ways to think about it -- cultural, emotional, mechanical (how the camera is used, how they're lit); follow your own interests and imagination.

You have an opportunity to not only introduce her to new films, but to reinforce different ways of thinking about experiences beyond "I like/don't like it." It's not a course in school, so there's no limit to what directions you may go in. But making an effort to understand a little of the context, and having a thread to follow from movie to movie, can make it so much more interesting and fun.

I have to admit I envy you -- have a wonderful time!
posted by kestralwing at 9:10 AM on July 10, 2011

Whale Rider has a young female protagonist, a positive message about empowerment, a mythical angle, and a neat cultural skew.
posted by Gilbert at 9:30 AM on July 10, 2011

Die Blechtrommel (The tin drum)
Raise the red lantern
Vengo

(The latter is a personal favourite rather than a well-known classic.)
posted by rjs at 9:39 AM on July 10, 2011

If you want her to really learn to appreciate this sort of film, make sure she knows that "art house" isn't just a quasi-genre. Actual art houses exist - quite near you, if your location data is accurate!

Assuming it is, the most promising thing for your exact specifications isn't until September, when the Museum of the Moving Image is doing a Gus van Sant retrospective.

But keep an eye on the screening schedules at Museum of the Moving Image, MoMA, Anthology, BAM, Film Society of Lincoln Center, and Film Forum and you'll probably see many of the titles in this thread pop up sooner or later. Many of these 'canonical' titles get revived frequently.

Also worth keeping on the radar is this site which was linked to on the blue semi-recently.
posted by bubukaba at 9:50 AM on July 10, 2011

The Red Balloon
posted by i_love_squirrels at 10:08 AM on July 10, 2011

My college-aged daughter was successfully introduced to world cinema via Bollywood (Bride and Prejudice is a good starter), various French semi-classics (Cousin, Cousine, Day for Night, 400 Blows) and some Hong Kong martial arts movies. We had family movie night, and then she would usually make requests via Netflix (or the video store before.) The key was not forcing anything on her like spinach--we didn't act like this was film class.
(We live in LA, know plenty of film people, which can actually be a hinderance.)
Pick films that correspond to movies she already likes. (If she liked Black Swan, The Red Shoes is a natural.)
posted by Ideefixe at 10:17 AM on July 10, 2011

Subway -- Luc Besson, starring Christopher Lambert (of Highlander fame) and Isabelle Adjani. Fun, fast-paced, complete with underground rollerskate chases. I saw it when I was your daughter's age and it stuck with me.
posted by *s at 10:24 AM on July 10, 2011

I'm A Cyborg, But That's Okay
Welcome To the Dollhouse
Spaghetti Westerns! (The Dollars Trilogy comes to mind as super-accessible)
For something a little more strange, how about Koyannisqatsi?
posted by sinnesloeschen at 11:04 AM on July 10, 2011

Wings of Desire
The Andalusian Dog
Metropolis - there's a version where they've added on 80s soundtrack over it, and it's interesting to watch that version after watching the 80s version
Whale Rider

I really liked Kurosawa's Dreams at that age, too.
posted by Ostara at 11:12 AM on July 10, 2011

Amelie
posted by macadamiaranch at 11:14 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

I started out watching foreign/indie films early in life, so I have more guidelines than actual recommendations: "Popular" foreign movies (films that were nominated or won Oscars or films that received high praise from American critics) like Le retour de Martin Guerre and Raise the Red Lantern; and classic movies (B&W preferred) like It Happened One Night or The Third Man. If she can watch stuff with subtitles, things in B&W and handle the slower pace of older and foreign movies, she will eventually like Kieslowski's Trois Coleurs and Welcome to the Dollhouse
posted by fiercekitten at 11:14 AM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

Not implying Kieslowski wrote/directed Welcome to the Dollhouse BTW.
posted by fiercekitten at 11:16 AM on July 10, 2011

Bride and Prejudice is a good starter

Oh god no.

Anyone with decent enough taste in film that their dad is posting this question on AskMe will see right through that garbage immediately.

I'd start with Dilwale Dulhaniya de Jayenge, if she digs a romantic comedy (and the theme of a teenage girl rebelling against her father is sort of great considering it's you doing the recommending), or Dil Se if she likes political thriller sort of stuff (though, it being Bollywood, there's still plenty of romance thrown in).

Granted, none of the above is even remotely close to "art house". For Indian art film, the classic introduction is Pather Panchali, which is amazing enough to make the list even if you're not on a mission of Educating Your Daughter About World Cinema. It would make an interesting juxtaposition to either Leon or The 400 Blows, too.
posted by Sara C. at 11:24 AM on July 10, 2011

Bergman's Fanny and Alexander
posted by marsha56 at 12:08 PM on July 10, 2011

When I was around this age I got a copy of the book Spike, Mike Slackers and Dykes, which I LOVED and really got me into indie movies. I think it would be a great place to start.
posted by genmonster at 1:59 PM on July 10, 2011

This is more of an intermediate-level suggestion than beginner, but for the future, do you have an annual film festival anywhere near you?

Binging madly on as many films as I can squeeze in to my schedule is, for me, a totally different way of watching movies. It's a neat luxury to not expect every film to be good, and not-great films can be interesting (in a way) as a comparison to unexpectedly mind-blowing movies.
posted by desuetude at 2:06 PM on July 10, 2011

Sara C--It's training wheels. And I stand by the recommendation. Bride and Prejudice is an easy way to get into Bollywood, because the story is pretty easy to follow. Your taste might not be the same as 16 year old's. Geeze.
posted by Ideefixe at 2:14 PM on July 10, 2011

Finder, you're an awesome dad. Chaplin's the best.
posted by guitareste at 3:15 PM on July 10, 2011

Persepolis is a 2007 French animated film based on Marjane Satrapi's autobiographical graphic novel of the same name. The film was written and directed by Satrapi with Vincent Paronnaud. The story follows a young girl as she comes of age against the backdrop of the Iranian Revolution. The film won the Jury Prize at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival

Torch Song Trilogy(US) is a 1988 comedy-drama film adapted by Harvey Fierstein from his play of the same title. At the 1989 Deauville Film Festival, Bogart was nominated for the Critics Award and won the Audience Award. The film was nominated for Best Feature and Fierstein was nominated for Best Male Lead at the Independent Spirit Awards that same year.

The Three Colors trilogy (French/Polish with subtitles): The whole trilogy received ranking of 100 % on Rotten Tomatoes. Roger Ebert included the trilogy in its entirety to his "Great Movies" list. Ranked #14 in Empire magazines "The 100 Best Films Of World Cinema" in 2010.

Run Lola Run is a 1998 German crime thriller film. The story follows a woman who needs to obtain 100,000 German marks in 20 minutes to save her boyfriend's life. Critical reception.

posted by K.P. at 4:28 PM on July 10, 2011 [1 favorite]

Sorry, Ideefixe. I just found Bride to be all the worst elements of Bollywood, dumbed down for Anglophone audiences in a way that almost guarantees that people will come away hating Bollywood. I love Gurinder Chadha and was rooting so hard for it, but it's just really, really bad, by any standard of filmmaking. It came out right around the time I got into Bollywood, and it put the first doubts into my mind about the direction my aesthetic sense was headed. It really is distilled down to every problem people have with the genre and none of the things that are interesting about it.

So, I dunno. Maybe it's a love hate thing. Maybe it's just me. I just... wouldn't start there.
posted by Sara C. at 6:17 PM on July 10, 2011

It's training wheels. And I stand by the recommendation. Bride and Prejudice is an easy way to get into Bollywood, because the story is pretty easy to follow.

I agree. I loved Bride and Predjudice -- full of color, laughter and life -- it's a movie that really put a big grin on my face.

Another good Bollywood movie is "Monsoon Wedding".
posted by pushing paper and bottoming chairs at 6:30 PM on July 10, 2011

Monsoon Wedding is not a Bollywood movie. It's just a regular Western film about an Indian family.

But it's really good, and is perfect for the criteria you lay out here. I love Salaam Bombay a lot, too.
posted by Sara C. at 6:41 PM on July 10, 2011

Pan's Labyrinth would be ideal for a girl of your daughter's age.
posted by UbuRoivas at 8:28 PM on July 10, 2011

Die Brücke (The Bridge) (trailer) - just about every frame in this film could stand alone as a still photo.
Sid and Nancy (trailer) - more than just a biopic, there are some fantastic elements that you don't pick up until subsequent viewings.
The Company of Wolves (trailer) - Little Red Riding Hood as a metaphor for a girl's coming of age.
posted by Multicellular Exothermic at 8:35 PM on July 10, 2011

Everything you can find with Daniel Day-Lewis.

Jaques Tati

The original Cat People and its sequel.
posted by brujita at 9:34 PM on July 10, 2011

How about some British New Wave? Billy Liar and A Taste Of Honey are great films for a teenager. Saturday Night Sunday Morning and This Sporting Life are darker, and while it's a difficult film for non-English teenagers unless you use the subtitles, Kes.

I like Naked a lot but my word, is it a bleak film.
posted by mippy at 8:30 AM on July 11, 2011

I went back and favorited everyone that mentioned Kieslowski's Trois Coleurs. Red is my favorite, but it is the last in the trilogy, you really need to watch them in order. I feel like not enough people watch them. The movies are strangely captivating and sublime.

There are some boring-ass movies suggested above. Fantastic movies nonetheless, but keep in mind that the pace is slow and story subtle when you decide what to suggest to your daughter.
posted by jabberjaw at 6:08 PM on July 12, 2011

Lastly, East is East .
posted by K.P. at 3:35 AM on July 13, 2011

I was around her age when I started watching foreign films seriously.

These were the titles I watched and enjoyed:

Amelie
Delicatessen
Cinema Paradiso
Il Postino
Amores Perros
The Red Balloon
City of God
400 Blows

Films by Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, Krzysztof Kieślowski, Hayao Miyazaki, Wong Kar-Wai, Pedro Almodovar, Jean-Luc Godard

Others --

Before Sunrise
Before Sunset
Waking Life
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Boogie Nights
Leon
Trainspotting
Adaptation
Rushmore
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Billy Elliott

Films by Woody Allen and Wes Anderson
posted by pleasebekind at 1:22 PM on July 14, 2011

« Older What are the ideal Relationships for my MS Access...   |   This would not have been an old person when I was... Newer »