Falafel shaping tool
June 24, 2011 8:28 AM   Subscribe

Where can I buy an aleb falafel in London

Check this out -skip to 2.29 mins for product demo- to see what I mean. I plan to make my first recce on Edgeware Rd but any specific pointers to shops or online sources would be most appreciated
posted by fray to Food & Drink (11 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
Use an ice cream scoop, save yourself a little cash and headache trying to find one.
posted by BobbyDigital at 8:45 AM on June 24, 2011

Thanks but I am looking in particular for this tool rather than methods of shaping falafel. Besides the novelty value I am after a time-saving mechanism that will effectively create discs of the mixture with the characteristic dimple caused by the 'pusher' when the shaped patty is released.
posted by fray at 9:01 AM on June 24, 2011

You might try calling Del Aziz, I've gotten all sorts of odd Turkish , Persian, and Greek items there.
posted by kaszeta at 9:06 AM on June 24, 2011

Do you have to buy it in a shop, or could you order it online?

Amazon has this two-headed badboy.

This is similar to the one seen in the video (although not identical). Also available in extra large.
posted by thinman at 9:19 AM on June 24, 2011

Seconding Amazon: UK link for what you're looking for or here for another company.
posted by MuffinMan at 9:22 AM on June 24, 2011

The actual tool used in the video exists (in Bulgaria). The website is incredibly un-encouraging. I would be really happy if someone answered with the name of a shop where I could go and look at the thing physically. Thanks muffinman and thinman, good back-up option...
posted by fray at 9:43 AM on June 24, 2011

I'd go down Edqware Road and just ask in some place where they get theirs. Offer to buy one off them, you never know.
posted by londongeezer at 10:45 AM on June 24, 2011

Last year, some shops there were selling a package of two boxes of Ziyad mix, bundled with an aleb falafel. There may be some of the packs still around, or other brands doing a similar promotion.
posted by Cuppatea at 3:57 AM on June 25, 2011

Sorry, brain fart, not Ziyad - it was the Durra mix. But I'd just go look in the shops. The tools are very inexpensive if you find them on their own. I think it was a shop closer to Kilburn station (probably Food World) rather than right at the bottom of Edgware road, though.
posted by Cuppatea at 4:03 AM on June 25, 2011

Third shop I went to had it. £2.39 for 2 boxes "Premium Mix" and a shaper (was so thrilled with my purchase that I didn't stop back to check the name of the shop but it was just after the Marylebone flyover heading towards Kilburn). I have to say, this is the most excited I've ever been about a piece of kitchenware and I have been working in kitchens for 8 years.

For anyone reading this as a search result: it's flimsy and very likely to rust/break but cheap enough to buy another when it does. I'd definitely go for this over the more robust-looking versions on Amazon unless you're planning to set up a food stall or similar and can see it being used intensively.
posted by fray at 5:30 AM on June 25, 2011

NB: no dimple
posted by fray at 5:34 AM on June 25, 2011

« Older High school baseball - why the war paint?   |   Best seat in the Arclight Dome? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.