What are these weird half-safety goggles for?
June 23, 2011 11:27 AM   Subscribe

What the heck are these weird glasses for?

We're cleaning out cabinets at work and there were these two weird pair of glasses -- one with smoky lenses, the other clear. Except they have been cut to the shape of, um, reading glasses? The sun rarely comes from the floor, so to be honest, I'm perplexed.

They're the size of regular glasses, no magnification in the plastic lenses. The only thing slightly odd (besides the cutouts on top) is a weird barrel thing on the inside of the arm.

Anyone know what these could have been for?
posted by Gucky to Technology (11 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite
The arms read "7565" on the right, "Taiwan 18111" on the left and the big branded panel removes quite easily. It's all very plasticy/cheap.
posted by Gucky at 11:30 AM on June 23, 2011

It does say HP on the logo there, ya ? No luck wandering down HP's technology ? Are they polarized lenses ?
posted by k5.user at 11:35 AM on June 23, 2011

Are the HP bits part of the glasses or are they added on to regular reading glasses?
posted by pointystick at 11:36 AM on June 23, 2011

The HP bits are added onto the glasses.

I work at HP, so everything around here says that, but they're not any of the tech I know about (and feel flimsy enough that I doubt they're the tech itself).

The logo is the slightly older version, so they're at least a year old, but not more than six years old.
posted by Gucky at 11:42 AM on June 23, 2011

Could they be the base for some kind of magnifying glass glasses?
posted by nonane at 11:45 AM on June 23, 2011

To me they look like safety glasses you would put over your regular glasses to protect on the bottom and sides near your temples where normal glasses would not reach. That way one of your machine shop nerds aren't forced to lose visibility by doubling their safety goggles on top of their own specs.
posted by Think_Long at 11:51 AM on June 23, 2011 [1 favorite]

Mock-up for what a portable HUD unit would look like?
posted by edgeways at 11:58 AM on June 23, 2011

perhaps glasses for the old HP PDA's... so you can read outside in the sun?
posted by fozzie33 at 12:09 PM on June 23, 2011

They look like augemented reality glasses. The mechanism that produces images sits at the top and is removable. The bottom is clear so you can keep seeing reality.

Here's a similar product.

Yet another.

HP also just did a big AR showcase in Asia.
posted by damn dirty ape at 12:09 PM on June 23, 2011 [2 favorites]

Oh, and the barrel is for a data/power line.
posted by damn dirty ape at 12:13 PM on June 23, 2011

All signs point to damn dirty ape. Digging around the same cabinet, it looks like that drawer belonged to the product ID prototypes, so it likely was a mockup for a presentation, rather than a working model.

Not the weirdest thing we found, but certainly the most perplexing. Thanks all.
posted by Gucky at 1:06 PM on June 23, 2011

« Older When will the economy get better?   |   Recommend me irresistible dance-punk-wave music Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.