Terra Incognita, until I read about it...

I want to get a grip on Missouri through history and literature!

As some of you might have noticed by now, I like to get a handle on the places I'm going by reading interesting history books and literature about them.

Well, I'm going to Falcon, MO in July, to volunteer for a month on an organic farm at the edges of Mark Twain National Forest. I'd like to have a handle on the land I'm seeing and the history of the place and the spirit of Missouri before I go, so lay it on me! Books about the Ozarks, the Mississippi, Mark Twain National Forest, St. Louis, Lewis and Clark and all other peripherally-related matters are welcome. Readability a must!

Thank you in advance for making this working vacation even better!
posted by WidgetAlley to Writing & Language (6 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

The Ozarks: Land and Life by Milton Rafferty. Might loose points in the readability category, being a lot like a textbook. But if you want a quick education in the people, history, and geography of the Ozarks, Rafferty is the man to start with.

A couple of little favorites of mine, especially good for reading on the porch between 6:00 and 8:00, morning or evening:

Stars Upstream; Life Along an Ozark River

A Country Year: Living the Questions
posted by General Tonic at 12:43 PM on June 16, 2011

For Missouri folk history and humour I can wholeheartedly recommend Pissing in the Snow and Other Ozark Folktales by Vance Randolph, ISBN 0252013646.

It's a bit rude.
posted by BinaryApe at 1:01 PM on June 16, 2011 [1 favorite]

Read this book in my Environmental History class at Mizzou. Actually explains a lot about St. Louis and why it is the way it is.
posted by Afroblanco at 1:48 PM on June 16, 2011

Jesse James: Last Rebel of the Civil War, by T. J. Stiles.
posted by scruss at 2:52 PM on June 16, 2011

Is Mark Twain too obvious? I recommend Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn.
posted by mgrrl at 3:44 PM on June 16, 2011

Ozark Meandering, by Bogan. Mostly poetry.

Anything by Mark Twain, though it will be dated.
posted by jeffamaphone at 5:11 PM on June 16, 2011

« Older Is there any going back?   |   Ouch. Newer »