In which Facebook makes me dependent upon something and then destroys it completely

Why have I stopped receiving text alerts for Facebook messages?

About two months ago, Facebook (without asking me) switched me over to their new message system. This is irritating enough, but when this happened, I stopped receiving text alerts on my phone when someone sent me a Facebook message. (I still receive text alerts for other things -- if someone posts on my wall, if they send me a friend request &c.)

This is the main thing I use text alerts for and I need it back (sigh). I've checked that my text alert settings are correct and I've tried removing my phone number from my account and resetting it. Nothing's fixed it. (I'm in the UK, if that matters.) In the new messages thing, when you send a message, when you send a message there is an option that says 'Also send as text message', so I guess if I asked everyone I know to always click that box when sending me a message, that would maybe fix it. But I'm not going to do that. (Why would you even make a feature like that and take control away from the recipient? Why?!)

I know that there's no way for me to go back to the old message system (see: this previous question) but is there anything I can do? This stupid problem is driving me crazy.
posted by Put the kettle on to Computers & Internet (3 answers total)

Best answer: My guess? It's bugged, and/or they're 'testing' another 'upgrade' (which they're notorious for not informing people of). If you haven't already, report it through FB's bug system thingie and see what they have to say about it.
posted by Heretical at 9:50 PM on June 14, 2011

Response by poster: Thanks -- I was afraid of that. I've reported it here and hopefully they'll take notice although to be honest I'm not holding my breath.
posted by Put the kettle on at 12:54 PM on June 15, 2011

Response by poster: In response to the one-month-later follow-up, I am still having this problem and I have no idea how to solve it. I have complained to Facebook support several times with no response (as expected). If I miraculously find a solution within the next 11 months, I will update this post.
posted by Put the kettle on at 1:03 PM on July 15, 2011

« Older How to get a key for an old filing cabinet?   |   Help I need a career change!!!!! Newer »