Best workflow for DVD to Premiere and Final Cut

I'm probably doing it wrong, but what is the best way to rip DVD's and DVCAM tape to use with Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro?

I have a public access show and they offer a variety of formats to record on: DVD Recorder, DVCAM, D9, and they also have a IEEE1394 capture box.

My current setup is to record to DVD with a DVCAM backup in-case the DVD fails. When I get home I run MPEG Streamclip and export the DVD to a DV file and use the split option. (I have cloud backup and it won't support files over 9 GB). This seems to work fine, no rendering and exports very quickly. But,

Am I wasting lots of space exporting to DV from DVD instead of another codec?

When I split my files they split as "filename.dv 004" which Adobe Premiere can't use unless I rename them to "filename004.dv". Is there a better way?
posted by wcfields to Media & Arts (4 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

You're not wasting space, really the problem that I see is that you are compromising quality by going from the compression of the dvd (mpg2) to the DV codec and then possibly to something else. The better the source material you have the better quality compression or encoding you will get for your final output.

The solution for quality would be to ingest the DVCAM tape, but that would require a deck and that may be more than you want. I've heard that some Sony mini-dv cameras will play back the DVCAM tapes. I've not tried it.

Video just takes up allot of space. Especially when you try to keep the quality as high as possible. Hard drives are pretty darn cheap right now; and probably cheaper than any tape based options.

If you are going to keep ripping the dvds I would rename the footage with a name format that includes more easily read data in it's name. An example.

> year_month_day_showname_prt#.dv
or
>11_05_24_askmefi_prt1.dv

This can make finding things, organizing, backing up, and relinking media at a later date much easier.
posted by jade east at 2:21 PM on May 24, 2011

Why not use the IEEE1394 capture box? If your intent is to have editable digital files in Standard Definition, that would seem to be the most direct route. It should also give you better quality than ripping from MPG2 DVD files regardless of your current process.

Here's what I would do, pending any clarifications from you:

Record directly to your preferred codec, possibly even the DV format you currently use, using the capture device. In general, an hour should be about 12 GB, but if you have a show around that length there are numerous programs to split a DV file into smaller chunks. This should also solve your naming issue.

Then I would record a DVD (widely usable format) or DVCAM (higher quality) as a backup.

The only downside I see to this setup is the transfer time from the capture computer to your own drive. For an hour of DV video, FW400 should be less than 15 minutes - faster for FW800 if possible. In fact, it would be possible to record the stream directly to your external hard drive, although you might test that out first (hard drive speed, shared FW bus, etc).
posted by shinynewnick at 7:08 PM on May 24, 2011

Response by poster: @shinynewnick , I've used it once before but ran into issues with dropped frames. I'm not sure if it was Final Cut or the box itself.
posted by wcfields at 3:21 PM on May 25, 2011

Hmm, that would certainly be an issue. Do you know what kind of capture box it is?
posted by shinynewnick at 7:46 PM on May 25, 2011

« Older What do I do in a group interview for a job?   |   Learning to love Austin, TX Newer »