What do I call this living space?
May 23, 2011 10:31 PM   Subscribe

What type of apartment is this? Studio? Bachelor Suite? Loft?

I have a furnished apartment that I rent out. I can't figure out what to call it in the description for advertising purposes. Here are the spec's...

- It's on the main floor / garden level of a house.
- With the exception of the entrance and the bathroom which are separate, it's all one very large room (500 sq. ft.) with one side having a queen sized bed and fire place, and the other side having a living room and kitchenette.
- It has 10 foot ceilings.
- It is not at all cramped.

If it wasn't on the ground level or in a house I'd call it a loft. If it was smaller I'd call it a studio suite. What word or combination of words would describe this space?
posted by lunaazul to Home & Garden (20 answers total)
I'd call it a studio apartment. Perhaps a large studio apartment, but to me, thats the exact definition of a studio apartment -- a self contained one room apartment with separate washroom, but no separate bedroom.
posted by cgg at 10:34 PM on May 23, 2011

Best answer: It's certainly a studio. Some studios are bigger than others; you happen to have a particularly large one. I'd just describe it as a studio, but probably put the size in the Craigslist title so people don't miss it, ie:

"HUGE Studio (500+sq ft) in Cortex Gardens! High ceilings, working fireplace!"
posted by Tomorrowful at 10:35 PM on May 23, 2011

The only units I've seen advertised as "bachelor" units were in LA (and had a very very tiny kitchenette. (also, you could run afoul of fair housing rules unless that term is widely used by others.)

Definitely call it a studio.
posted by vespabelle at 10:55 PM on May 23, 2011

In NYC, I believe that would be a floor-through, large studio. Assuming the apartment goes from the front of the building all the way to the back?
posted by unknowncommand at 11:24 PM on May 23, 2011

By kitchenette do you mean some combination of hot plate, smaller-than-standard fridge and no sink? If so, then it's more accurately a bachelor unit, and that term's in common use in Vancouver and elsewhere in English Canada (legally or not). If it has a kitchen with standard appliances and plumbing, then it's a studio.
posted by thisjax at 11:37 PM on May 23, 2011 [1 favorite]

Sounds like a studio to me. But for a while I rented a 350-square-foot one-bedroom, so definitely emphasize the size in the advertising.
posted by madcaptenor at 12:25 AM on May 24, 2011

It's definitely not a loft, no matter what floor it's on. A loft is gigantic, 1000 square feet or more, with ceilings of 14 feet or more, usually with exposed beams or ductwork, and usually in a huge open space (meaning few dividing walls), often unfinished, often converted commercial space. A key: once you put in walls and a dropped ceiling it stops being a loft. Oh, I know you've seen lots of apartments called lofts that are different than that. But that's real estate people for you.
posted by Mo Nickels at 5:45 AM on May 24, 2011

500sq ft one room? studio
posted by zombieApoc at 5:48 AM on May 24, 2011

It's a studio. 500 sf isn't all that "large", and studio doesn't necessarily imply cramped quarters or whatever you're imagining. Ten foot ceilings aren't all that high, either. If it were in an industrial building you might could get away with calling it a loft. But if it's typical residential housing stock, then no.

Floor-through is a nice word to use if it actually takes up a whole floor. It's not a type of apartment, though - it's just an adjective. I would not use this expression if floor-through apartments are customary for your area; it's used a lot in New York because we have a lot of huge buildings (and even smaller tenements are usually divided into two or four apartments per floor).

Junior one-bedroom is only for spaces that are somewhat sub-divided (i.e. a sleeping alcove) or where it would be easy for the renter to sub-divide a bedroom if desired.

I've never heard "bachelor suite", but maybe it's used in your local market? I think you should stick with terms that are commonly used in your area, or you might as well write an ad that reads, "Spacious first-floor OIEDSFOXLKSD with high ceilings". Words need to have mutually agreed upon meaning, or what's the point?
posted by Sara C. at 6:26 AM on May 24, 2011

To piggyback on what Mo Nickles said, the converse of a commercial-space loft is a residential-space loft, which, to me at least, implies an upper story with only a partial wall or railing overlooking the lower floors. It's also not a suite, which is a series of rooms.

I agree that it's a studio, or, if the kitchen has a hot plate, a bachelor.

I like this description:
Tomorrowful: ""HUGE Studio (500+sq ft) in Cortex Gardens! High ceilings, working fireplace!"
Your potential tenant is already open to living in a studio -- or maybe a bachelor -- apartment. Calling it something it's not will only waste everyone's time (including yours).
posted by Room 641-A at 6:37 AM on May 24, 2011

I think if there is not a separate kitchen it's called an efficiency.
posted by radioamy at 7:18 AM on May 24, 2011

I don't think that would qualify as a loft if it was on an upper floor. Lofts are typically urban living spaces and are characteristically re-purposed industrial spaces with much higher ceilings and much larger spaces.
posted by JJ86 at 7:31 AM on May 24, 2011

efficiency = studio.

In NYC, "loft" is as described above. In other places which lack 19th c. industrial spaces converted to housing, "loft" can mean a place that has an elevated sleeping area.
posted by Rash at 8:11 AM on May 24, 2011

I came back to suggest that you might have what -- in L.A. at least -- I've seen advertised as an "x-style apartment with separate entrance" to indicate it is part of, or attached to, a main residence. However, it seems clear from the answers that all these terms are subjective; I think your best bet would be to include pictures so people can decide if it's somewhere they'd like to live, regardless of what it is called.

FWIW, I live in a studio that includes a kitchen (that I refer to as A View With A Room) and your place sounds cute.
posted by Room 641-A at 8:28 AM on May 24, 2011

Is an efficiency really just the same as a studio? In Virginia our apartment with one medium sized living sleeping room, bathroom and dressing room, and pretty good sized separate kitchen was called an efficiency. That was about 700sqft total btw, I'd have laughed my butt off if they'd have tried to call it a loft.
posted by crabintheocean at 9:30 AM on May 24, 2011

I always thought an efficiency was the same as a studio, except it only had a very minimal "kitchen" (like, one hot plate and a dorm fridge). If you have real kitchen appliances, you've got a (really nice sounding!) studio.
posted by chowflap at 9:34 AM on May 24, 2011

Response by poster: To clarify a couple of things...

- the potential renters are international, it is a vacation rental. So a description that is universally understood would be best.

- the kitchen has a built-in cook-top but no oven, and has a half fridge as opposed to a full one. There is a sink in the kitchen.

- I just had a photographer do some lovely pictures but she shot it so that there could be confusion over whether the sleeping quarters are separate. I will have her shoot one that shows otherwise when I can put together the money, but in the meantime, I need to be able to be clear for the purpose of responding to emails.

It looks like "studio" is the popular answer but I'm still open to ideas. Suggestions for what this would be called in European countries would be helpful as well.

Thanks very much for your answers so far.
posted by lunaazul at 9:42 AM on May 24, 2011

European chiming in: definitely a studio.
posted by lioness at 12:45 PM on May 24, 2011

Agree on studio for general description.

If the whole kitchenette layout isn't pictured, I would probably include something like "... kitchen/ette equipped with cooktop, microwave, counter-height refrigerator ..." - I've seen that in vacation rentals where there's a kitchen/kitchenette that's not what might be considered "fully" equipped (either by local or by local-to-the-tourist) standards.
posted by clerestory at 2:23 PM on May 24, 2011

Response by poster: Thanks so much for your help everyone. It's good to be clear on what it isn't as well so, your time is much appreciated. Studio it is!
posted by lunaazul at 8:15 PM on May 24, 2011

« Older How to be dominant in the bedroom?   |   business voip phone services Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.