Visiting and then (maybe) living in Singapore
May 21, 2011 9:54 PM Subscribe
My husband and I have been long pondering our next move as a family, whether to move overseas or not. Today Singapore came up and surprisingly enough the idea is quite appealing - I hadn't even considered moving to Asia. So we're going on a fact-finding mission in July with the kids. There are a few things I'd like to try to work out in advance though...
- In July we will need family-friendly accommodation within walking distance of an MRT stop - ideally something on the east coast near a beach, or if not then with a decent pool, and which has a separate bedroom for the kids (we've tried sleeping everyone in one room, and never again). Can anyone offer a good recommendation? There are so many options when you google that I don't know where to even start, and getting my head around all the MRT lines is confusing. Budget maybe $180-ish per night, less if possible? I understand this is their summer break so it might be more expensive than otherwise. Does that mean places like Universal will be crowded?
- The public transport looks awesome, but some condos advertising places still give driving times to the CBD. Are there places in Singapore where you would need to own a car - I'd like to avoid living in those areas as I understand it's expensive to get a Singapore license and own a car there.
- Husband works remotely at present and would continue to do so. The Singapore Ministry of Manpower website doesn't give me useful information about what sort of permit he would need, given that his employer wouldn't be local.
- I've looked at a few sites about cost of living but wondered if I could get more firsthand information. What is fresh produce like? Is the grocery shopping experience western-style, like supermarkets?
- Husband wants to know about "quality of life". Anecdotes about life in Singapore would be helpful, especially if you have lived there with children (ours are currently 8 and (nearly) 6).
- There's a great expat website with detailed information about lots of the condos in Singapore, but it's hard to get a picture from the internet. What sort of things can catch you out when househunting in Singapore?
- While we are on our reconnaisance mission I'll try to visit some state schools (we can't afford the private international school fees as well as enjoy living there) and check out some condos/apartments. Anything else I should definitely arrange to see while visiting with an eye to living there?
- Tell me one thing you love and one thing you don't/didn't love about living in Singapore!