Help, these bugs are eating my coffee plant!

I just noticed these bugs are eating the leaves on my coffee plant (Coffea Arabica), does anyone have any idea on what they are and how to get rid of them? Pics inside.

Here are links to photos of the offending bugs!

Not sure if it's relevant but I'm in Melbourne Australia - it's just turning to winter now but they've been around for awhile. The plant lives in a pot on the balcony.

Environmentally friendly remedies would be preferred.

Thanks
posted by JohnBlaze to Home & Garden (7 answers total)

Response by poster: The links to the photos don't seem to be working, so here goes again.

Picture 1
Picture 2
posted by JohnBlaze at 8:47 PM on May 21, 2011

Try a teaspoon of Doctor Bronner's baby liquid castile soap in a spray bottle of water. Spritz it on the leaves where you see the little bugs.
posted by MidSouthern Mouth at 8:47 PM on May 21, 2011 [1 favorite]

Looks like mealy bugs. Agreeing with MidSouthern Mouth on Doctor Bronner's. You'll have to do it more than once. Check any crevice or curled leaf. If you plan to keep it through the winter, be aggressive about attacking the little critters and isolate the plant from others. In fact, if you brought in a new plant recently, that's probably where they came from. If it's a new plant, it might have been infested when you acquired it.
posted by Anitanola at 8:58 PM on May 21, 2011 [1 favorite]

If the infestation is bad, you can dip a Q-tip in alcohol and soak the bug (not the leaf) being sure you check undersides of leaves and leaf nodes. Then soap spray. Keep at it until your plant is clean.
Good luck. (I hate those things; they go after my favorite plants!)
posted by Anitanola at 10:03 PM on May 21, 2011

Response by poster: Ok I mixed up some Doctor Bronner's in a spray bottle and gave it a good spray.

Thanks everyone!
posted by JohnBlaze at 11:27 PM on May 21, 2011 [1 favorite]

You can also blast them of with the hose. I blast, they do the soap spray. Repeat again in 7 days, and then again in 14.
posted by oneirodynia at 5:27 PM on May 22, 2011

"then"

« Older $0 recording studio   |   Anything as good as Tiesto's remixes? Newer »