Please help me find an article from an archaeological publication!
May 13, 2011 4:18 PM   Subscribe

I'm trying to find an article about the excavation of the remains of a medieval noblewoman who was voluntarily sealed in a room in an abbey. The link was in a UK archaeological publication. It was posted to the blue some time in the last year or so.
posted by Graygorey to Science & Nature (3 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite
Best answer: Not sure about the link, but the term you're looking for is anchoress.
posted by elsietheeel at 4:26 PM on May 13, 2011

Best answer: Best of the past?
posted by Houstonian at 4:49 PM on May 13, 2011

Response by poster: Thanks, elsietheeel - the reason I was looking for the article was because I got into a conversation with a co-worker about the concept, but I couldn't remember the term. I'd remembered a fascinating article on the topic, which led to the question. I appreciate your help - I'm almost surprised that there are no posts tagged with "anchoress" or "anchorite!"

Houstonian: That's it! Specifically, this article. I may have even seen it among the search results I put in looking for the article on Metafilter, but without remembering the term "anchoress" (as elsietheeel was so kind to provide), I was in the dark.

Credit to you both, and I hope that the next thing that slips your minds returns as quickly as you made this return to mine. I can now sleep relieved!
posted by Graygorey at 11:56 PM on May 13, 2011

« Older Getting Grandma to Give up the Keys   |   Can I go back to school yet? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.