Trying to improve my cousin through music

My cousin is at the ripe ol' age of 12, and he is discovering all types of rebellious and "dangerous" music. What albums should I supply him with?

I want him to have a good taste in music without knowing it. He's already familiar with NIN and Rage against the Machine, Disturbed, Green Day, the Ramones. I'm already going to supply him with Dead kennedy's and Black Sabbath, but beyond that I am horribly versed as far as good rebellious punk angst-y music is concerned. Any suggestions?
posted by Philipschall to Media & Arts (95 answers total) 27 users marked this as a favorite

The Who's "Quadrophenia" is a masterpiece of teenage angst. Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is a masterpiece of angst in general. Elvis Costello was pretty angry in his way.
posted by drjimmy11 at 9:55 PM on May 5, 2011 [2 favorites]

I thought I was hot shit listening to The Clash and the Sex Pistols when I was in middle school. (Of course, I'm still hot shit when I'm listening to John Denver, but it's harder to convince a 12 year old of that.)
posted by phunniemee at 9:57 PM on May 5, 2011 [7 favorites]

Black Flag's Damaged.
posted by kendrak at 10:00 PM on May 5, 2011 [8 favorites]

More recently, I really enjoyed My Chemical Romance's "Welcome to the Black Parade." It's "screamo" but it's also heavily influenced by classic rock, especially Queen and T-Rex.
posted by drjimmy11 at 10:00 PM on May 5, 2011 [2 favorites]

Gang of Four, Wire, Husker Du, Minutemen, Fugazi, Buzzcocks.

Especially the Buzzcocks.
posted by tim_in_oz at 10:01 PM on May 5, 2011 [6 favorites]

Oh, and Bad Brains.
posted by tim_in_oz at 10:01 PM on May 5, 2011 [3 favorites]

I mean, this list could go on forever.

Pere Ubu?

Crass?

Minor Threat?

Anything with the message of, "Don't believe everything you're told", "learn to trust (and think for) yourself" and "community".

Fuck, I'd give him the Bootleg album of Avenue D if he'd know what to do with it.
posted by alex_skazat at 10:04 PM on May 5, 2011 [4 favorites]

Bobby Dylan and Phil Ochs, Pete Seeger, Arlo and Woody Guthrie.

That is, rebellious music that really did try to cause real change (beyond allowing "angsty" teens to piss off their parents), and in the case of Pete Seeger's support for the unions and the Civil Rights movement, did aid real lasting change.
posted by orthogonality at 10:05 PM on May 5, 2011 [5 favorites]

Old Bad Religion and NOFX!
posted by jess at 10:06 PM on May 5, 2011 [5 favorites]

Have to second Fugazi here, and Bad Brains.
posted by Ashley801 at 10:06 PM on May 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

X, PiL, Velvet Underground.....
posted by brujita at 10:08 PM on May 5, 2011 [3 favorites]

Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions...
posted by carsonb at 10:10 PM on May 5, 2011 [5 favorites]

OFWGKTA (Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All) is in some ways the most punk group currently making music. Plus, they have released something like 12 albums for free in the last year alone and they are all teenagers who are currently playing real live shows.
posted by acidic at 10:10 PM on May 5, 2011 [2 favorites]

Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Dylan, Meatloaf, Leonard Cohen
The Descendents, Iron Maiden
posted by Lovecraft In Brooklyn at 10:10 PM on May 5, 2011 [2 favorites]

The Pixies
posted by Dick Laurent is Dead at 10:26 PM on May 5, 2011 [5 favorites]

Bomb The Music Industry.

Wiki Link too, for those who want more information.

Amazing band, revolving members, masterminded by Jeff Rosenstock. Their albums have a lot of variety, and they're all free, so you'll probably find something you like. Ex-The Arrogant Sons of Bitches.
posted by dirtylittlecity at 10:29 PM on May 5, 2011

Refused--The Shape of Punk to Come

I would argue against Odd Future because of the fairly ugly homophobia and misogyny I've run across in their music.
posted by Slinga at 10:34 PM on May 5, 2011 [5 favorites]

NWA. straight Outta Compton
2Pac All Eyes on Me
The Notorious BIG Ready to Die
public Enemy
Eminem Slim Shady

Cuz otherwise, this is a list of old white guys.
posted by Ideefixe at 10:40 PM on May 5, 2011 [7 favorites]

The the Sex Pistols' Never Mind the Bollocks is totally essential for these purposes (I was exactly 12 when I got turned on to it, too); beyond the crazy cathartic adrenaline rush that any naturally rebellious kid can relate to, it also happens to be one of the greatest fucking records of all-time, handily enough.

Then I'd probably follow up with the Clash's self-titled debut (London Calling's their greatest, but might as well start at the beginning) In the City by the Jam, Los Angeles by X, since you already have the Ramones bases covered. That should get him started with classic punk!
posted by scody at 10:59 PM on May 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

The Replacements, especially Let it Be.
posted by catwash at 11:00 PM on May 5, 2011 [5 favorites]

acidic nailed it. OFWGKTA!
posted by dhammond at 11:00 PM on May 5, 2011

Duh. The Violent Femmes.
posted by HeyAllie at 11:04 PM on May 5, 2011 [5 favorites]

Little Richard
posted by victors at 11:29 PM on May 5, 2011

Hukser Du "Zen Arcade" , The Damned , The Ruts , X , Social Distortion , Buzzcocks ,Fear
posted by stuartmm at 11:36 PM on May 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

A couple of these are better known for not-so-punk though still disaffected youth music, but these examples may hit the mark:

Joy Division
Devo
Bauhaus
Einstürzende Neubauten
Suicidal Tendencies
Primus
The Offspring
posted by Monsieur Caution at 11:37 PM on May 5, 2011 [1 favorite]

For a proper introduction to rebellion (none if this Sex Pistols nonsense), throw him right into the deep end with Blatz. Follow up with some more poppy Naked Aggression and Fifteen and maybe the classic Antisect. Dropdead might be a little too far out there for him, but I'd suggest it anyway. Propaghandi used to be cool, and Oi Polloi will always be cool.

Also Einstürzende Neubauten and Skinny Puppy blew my mind when I was 12. Highly recommended.
posted by cmonkey at 11:41 PM on May 5, 2011 [2 favorites]

also God
posted by victors at 11:45 PM on May 5, 2011

L7,
7 Year Bitch,
The Gits,
Joan Jett,
Le Tigre (but he's probably not ready for Bikini Kill yet),
PJ Harvey,
Nirvana (I'm really the first one to mention this? maybe it goes automatically with RATM),
The Melvins (the local band that inspired the founders of Nirvana),
Death,
Sleater Kinney,
X (already mentioned, but I personally prefer "At the Whisky-a-go-go on the fabulous Sunset Strip" to "Los Angeles"),
Ministry,
Rammstein (nothing quite like rebellion in another language!),
Turbonegro,

and for the ultimate in overwrought rebellion, may I please present the 2006 Eurovision winners, Lordi. I would have been all over them at 12.
posted by ivan ivanych samovar at 11:47 PM on May 5, 2011 [9 favorites]

Rudimentary Peni - Death Church
posted by cazoo at 11:50 PM on May 5, 2011

Anti-Flag. I went through a phase with them. Alternatively, Justin Sane, a solo project of the lead singer of Anti-Flag with music that isn't as punk. Both have lots of swearing though. Nth-ing Pink Floyd. I got a HUGE kick out of "We don't need no education" when I was his age.
posted by delicate_dahlias at 11:59 PM on May 5, 2011

Circle Jerks.
posted by spicynuts at 12:30 AM on May 6, 2011

Country, folk, and WTF music:

Johnny Cash (American recordings era stuff should be a smooth transition from punk)

Neko Case

The Mekons (destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late)

Pine Valley Cosmonauts (a side project by some of the Mekons)

Steve Earle

Roky Erickson
posted by ivan ivanych samovar at 12:31 AM on May 6, 2011 [2 favorites]

My best suggestion would be to hook him with someone who is versed in rebellious punk angsty music, because having contact with someone he can respect who feels that sort of thing is more important than what, exactly, he winds up listening to at this point in time, as opposed to "here's a bunch of stuff the internet told me you'd like."

If ya can't swing that, pass Go and drop him a copy of Raw Power, I guess.
posted by furiousthought at 12:40 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

And beyond the actual albums, some acquaintance with the following films may be useful:

The Decline of Western Civilization, Part I
(the punk years)
The Decline of Western Civilization, Part II (the metal years - Lemmy and Ozzy and a lot of poodle metal)
Repo Man (and the associated soundtrack)
Hype (and the associated soundtrack)
Sid and Nancy, The Great Rock and Roll swindle, and its rebuttal, The Filth and the Fury
posted by ivan ivanych samovar at 12:44 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

And, what furiousthought said, with the caveat that peers may or may not have better taste than him.

Maybe see your role more as the outside observer? If he asks you for advice, you can suggest other stuff he might be interested in. Otherwise, you've got a pretty good shopping list for birthdays and holidays already. And if he seems to be getting into stuff that is actually sexist, racist, hateful, you can be the "cool" relative who can explain the difference between being rebellious, and being an asshole, without getting lost in the "parents just don't understand" filter.
posted by ivan ivanych samovar at 12:56 AM on May 6, 2011

God, when did it become 1am? Apparently I am now rebelling against my own bedtime. Let that be a lesson to you.
posted by ivan ivanych samovar at 12:58 AM on May 6, 2011

For general angst:

Tool
Pigface (and then you can mine their line-up for more ideas)
posted by Eumachia L F at 1:03 AM on May 6, 2011

Get him turned onto MRR for Punk music.
posted by batmonkey at 1:12 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

Old music: The Germs, The Circle Jerks, Devo, The Dicks, The Plastics

Newer old music: Arab on Radar, COUGHS, Cattle Decapitation, Khanate
posted by beerbajay at 1:30 AM on May 6, 2011

Pop Will Eat Itself.
Pantera.
The Church.
Alice in Chains.
posted by obiwanwasabi at 1:54 AM on May 6, 2011

Don't suggest anything made before 2005--give him something he can use. Fuck nostalgia and education.

I suggest wild/crazy but musically straightforward new stuff like the Black Lips, Mean Jeans, Art Brut, Jay Reatard, The Growlers, Lovvers, and my new favorite band Shit Horse just because they have a swear in their name.
posted by Potomac Avenue at 2:08 AM on May 6, 2011 [4 favorites]

I , of course, posted older bands but this comic makes me laugh .
posted by stuartmm at 2:24 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

How about giving your cousin a sampler? Make a list of all the artists people have chosen (although I'm dubious about the suggestion of Meatloaf!), use last.fm to determine the two most popular tracks for each artist and include them on your present.

That way, your cousin has plenty of new and interesting artists to listen to and can go out and buy the albums of those that they'd like to hear more of. Supplement your present with an Amazon voucher to the value of a couple of CD's that allows them to do just that.

Otherwise you run the risk of giving a couple of albums which they don't like.
posted by mr_silver at 2:29 AM on May 6, 2011

I just picked up a CD of the Dead Kennedys this week, as I haven't had a turntable for years & only have them on vinyl.

Listening back over it, I realised just how much Give me Convenience or Give me Death influenced me, for better or worse, as an impressionable teenager & for years afterwards. Frankenchrist & Plastic Surgery Disasters are possibly better, but GmCoGmD was my first...
posted by UbuRoivas at 2:37 AM on May 6, 2011

sorry, i didn't read the question carefully enough. anyway, take that as a n+1 for your DKs idea. to add something new to the thread, how about some Birthday Party? (super-young Nick Cave & friends, before he mellowed out)
posted by UbuRoivas at 2:46 AM on May 6, 2011

Old Bad Religion and NOFX!
posted by jess at 1:06 AM on May 6 [+] [!]

Yes. Suffer and The Decline, respectively. The cover of Suffer alone makes its case.
posted by Jorus at 3:07 AM on May 6, 2011 [3 favorites]

Not exactly "punk", but he needs Frank Zappa! Start with "Joe's Garage".
posted by Daily Alice at 3:16 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

I'm with Potomac Avenue... the jams that influenced my dad meant fuck all to me. Ergo, the jams that influenced me will mean fuck all to contemporary youth.

With that in mind, here is a list of a few bands that I think are way raw. Gnarly or whatever. Guaranteed to piss you off.

The Weeknd is music about sex and drugs. It feels like sex and drugs. It probably won't appeal to white suburban kids, unless they're real depraved.

Black Dice - Smiling Off is experimental, like, if you're a nerd and you don't really get the punk kids, but you definitely don't get the squares.

Lighting Bolt - 13 Monsters... speaking of experimental... never let this kid go to a Lightning Bolt show without ear protection. They are fucked up loud. AND SO GOOD

Lastly, Om - Flight of the Eagle. Get stoned. or don't. whatever.

Most important is this: The kids are always alright. If you think he or she is listening to something that is dangerous/homophobic/misogynistic... shut the fuck up and let them listen to it. They'll turn out better for the experience, and more open to humanity because of it.
posted by special agent conrad uno at 3:23 AM on May 6, 2011 [2 favorites]

Very important:
Op Ivy
posted by tempythethird at 3:28 AM on May 6, 2011 [3 favorites]

The Jam

Chris Knox (and related acts): Bride of Frankenstein, Face of Fashion, Toy Love, One Fell Swoop, Half Man, Half Mole, Pull Down The Shades, Meat. Knox is... wierd. Great. And weird. Cult following amongst better-known musicians.

Les Vielles Salopes, great French punk band. Songs free for download over at last.fm as well as their site.

Shihad: All The Young Fascists, Pacifier, Run.

Split Enz (not a punk band, but a few angry angsty songs? Yeah): I See Red, Give it a Whirl, History Never Repeats.

Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine: Glam Rock Cops, Sherrif Fatman, Alternative Alf Garnett, Lenny and Terrence, Midnight on the Murder Mile, Rubbish, Good Grief Charlie Brown, The Only Living Boy in New Cross, Travis. Fucking fantastic English punks; two guitars and a sequencer. Slumlords, AIDS, rent boys, racism, domestic abuse, neglected children, suicide, alcoholism, depression, middle class angst, sexism, crap rest homes, The Man of La Mancha, you name it, they got it.

PWEI are fantastic; like Carter they're a mix of punk and 80s electronic dance sensibilities, with heavy political themes.

Midnight Oil? Not angsty, but angry: Beds Are Burning, Dreamworld, Blue Sky Mine, Forgotten Years, Beds Are Burning. Aussie greenie/blue-collar protest rock.

And since I'm looking over the ditch, The Living End: Prisoner of Society, West End Riot, Second Solution, Roll On.
posted by rodgerd at 3:29 AM on May 6, 2011

(I should note that Les Vieilles Salopes translates as "The Old Sluts", and their songs are, well, an incentive to learn a little French to work out the good bits.)
posted by rodgerd at 3:34 AM on May 6, 2011

Motorhead by Motorhead.
posted by Hogshead at 3:39 AM on May 6, 2011

THE CLASH!
posted by Jon-o at 4:08 AM on May 6, 2011

Nthing Bad Religion, which has been one of my favorites since age 14 or so. It's hard to pick just one album - Suffer is pretty crucial, although really anything through the early 90's is great. I hate to be lame and recommend a "best of" album, but I got into them through the All Ages compilation, which I think hits pretty much all the highlights. Operation Ivy/Rancid for sure. I also really enjoyed Propagandhi as a teen - made me feel sooooo subversive.
posted by naoko at 4:19 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands and Psychocandy especially. It's dangerous and dark and that (and they managed to be associated with drugs and riots despite, y'know, singing pretty), but tapping into something different to metal or punk, and a gateway to lots of other cool bands. Half Man Half Biscuit would be a good bet if he's into smartarsery and clever lyrics, and I wish someone had introduced me to them at 12 - not a frontline recommendation though.

More recently, No Age and Abe Vigoda and Titus Andronicus. Oh, also, I think the wealth of kick-ass writing on music is worth a look if he reads at all - Chuck Klosterman and Lester Bangs aren't the best focuses for an adult, but totally perfect for a teenager who gets why rock'n'roll is the shit.

If you haven't seen the blog project One Week One Band, there's weeks on the Replacements and Husker Du sitting there as good source material if you're interested. Self-link disclaimer: I did a week of it, but on a band not relevant here.
posted by carbide at 4:20 AM on May 6, 2011

Completely forgot...The Fall.

Arguments could go on forever as to which albums are best, but the general consensus seems to be for pre-1986, eg Perverted by Language, The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall, or This Nation's Saving Grace. Having said that, the latest release Your Future Our Clutter is one of their best in a long time, getting right back to the gritty, ranty, jarring style that angsty adolescents ought to love.
posted by UbuRoivas at 4:36 AM on May 6, 2011

Radios Appear - Radio Birdman
In The City - The Jam
The Violent Femmes - The Violent Femmes
London Calling - The Clash
Doolittle - The Pixies
The Wall - Pink Floyd
Tender Prey - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - Midnight Oil
Rid of Me - P J Harvey
Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols - The Sex Pistols
The Kinks - The Kinks
The Velvet Underground and Nico - The Velvet Underground
Marquee Moon - Television
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Horses - Patti Smith
posted by hot soup girl at 4:55 AM on May 6, 2011 [3 favorites]

Throw in some Merzbow while you're at it. Merzbow is the ultimate in "OMG TURN THAT SHIT DOWN WTF ARE YOU LISTENING TO YOUR BRAIN IS GOING TO BLEED" music. Everyone telling him to turn it off will make him more persistent in listening to it, thus helping him to discover the finesse beyond the harsh reality and see that it's really gorgeous stuff.
posted by Cat Pie Hurts at 6:02 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

Lots of good suggestions here. Perhaps the most obviously missing is Atari Teenage Riot.
posted by turkeyphant at 6:16 AM on May 6, 2011 [2 favorites]

mahem
posted by the noob at 6:27 AM on May 6, 2011

You could trick him with some music that sounds angsty and rebellious but ultimately preaches love.. The Smashing Pumpkins! It worked on me as a teenager anyway..
posted by wackybrit at 6:27 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

I see hot soup girl already mentioned them, but I think another mention of The Kinks needs to be made. Especially early Kinks.
Actually, hot soup girl's list is pretty much dead on, as far as what I would suggest too.
I would also add some Rank and File and other cow-punk bands of their era (early 80s).
Plus another nod to X.

I think, though, to "get" the angst and anger of many of the bands listed, you kind of need to know what they were in antipathy towards.
posted by annekenstein at 6:34 AM on May 6, 2011

No one has mentioned it yet, so I'm going to throw in Jane's Addiction.
posted by Gilbert at 6:36 AM on May 6, 2011

I like Potomac Avenue's suggestion of trying to keep it fairly current. Nobody's mentioned Queens of the Stone Age yet!
posted by usonian at 6:37 AM on May 6, 2011

Michael Franti and Spearhead - Stay Human, Everyone Deserves Music, Yell Fire!
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol 1., Revolutionary Vol 2., The 3rd World
Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against the Machine, Evil Empire, The Battle of Los Angeles
Tom Morello - One Man Revolution
Saul Williams - Amethyst Rock Star and the self titled Saul Williams

Some Notes:
Franti/Spearhead are excellent for social conscious and speaking peace.
Immortal Technique is expertly written, performed and produced, however his subject matters cover slave shop labor abuses, *graphic* violence (inner city gang initiation techniques), and 9/11/Cheney conspiracy theory. There's a lot of explaining to do... you would seriously need to clear every song individually with your aunt/uncle.
Rage against the Machine and Tom Morello are probably main stream enough to not need further explanation.
Saul Williams will settle any debate of is rap art, in particular "Penny for a Thought" and "List of Demands"
posted by Nanukthedog at 6:38 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

DUDE...this is your chance to create a feminist ally! Teach this kid about Riot Grrrl! Sleater Kinney! Le Tigre! Erase Errata!
posted by Lieber Frau at 6:39 AM on May 6, 2011 [4 favorites]

A million great suggestions already! My 2 cents:
The Slits.
The Fleshtones.
X-Ray Spex.
Raincoats.
Gary Numan.
Klaus Nomi.
Boris.
Pylon.
Lydia Lunch.
posted by activitystory at 6:46 AM on May 6, 2011 [2 favorites]

Residents.
posted by activitystory at 6:52 AM on May 6, 2011 [3 favorites]

My older brother instructed me to get NOFX's Punk In Drublic and Bad Religion's All Ages when I was that age. Both albums changed my life.

Also seconding The Decline by NOFX. I still get chills listening to it.
posted by gc at 6:52 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

Jane's Addiction
Alice in Chains
I don't know if it's dangerous or not, but seriously, old Weezer is awesome.
posted by Green Eyed Monster at 7:17 AM on May 6, 2011

Social Distortion, The Smiths, Tool, John Lennon's solo stuff, Elliott Smith (listen closely for the rage under the emo), classic Stones and Led Zeppelin, Ramones, Invincible, Cypress Hill, Fear, Henry Rollins with or without Black Flag, the more political of U2's early songs, XTC.
posted by sucky_poppet at 7:33 AM on May 6, 2011 [2 favorites]

Someone suggested Tom Waits -- I would say that as well, but with the caveat that Tom Waits is a very different kind of "dangerous."

A lot of these other bands, and the bands he seems to be drifting towards, come across as loud and raucous things that he can rawk out to. Which is great. The way Tom Waits is "dangerous," though, is that he may have his mind completely blown because he won't really know how to process what he's hearing, because it will be so unlike anything he's heard before -- except some of it will be good so he may be intrigued.

If he listens to the Ramones, then ask him what he thinks of their cover of "I Don't Want To Grow Up." If he likes it, play him Tom Waits' original off Bone Machine. If he dismisses Tom's cover, he's not ready. But if he likes it...then try Bone Machine and then Rain Dogs and just see what happens.
posted by EmpressCallipygos at 7:34 AM on May 6, 2011

The Pork Dukes.
posted by Splunge at 7:47 AM on May 6, 2011

Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
posted by vitabellosi at 8:02 AM on May 6, 2011

I agree with the Tool suggestions. I'd start him out with the earlier stuff, from Opiate to Aenima.

Once he's got his feet wet with those gems, he'd be ready to move on to the more musically and lyrically complex (but still rebellious, in a mature way) albums like Lateralus and 10,000 Days.

I think that Tool fits the bill as far as being rebellious, but also sets him up to appreciate a higher form of music later in life than, say, Green Day or The Ramones will.
posted by elder18 at 8:15 AM on May 6, 2011 [2 favorites]

Screeching Weasel - Kill the Musicians

Also seconding the Pixies and Motorhead!
posted by Greg Nog at 8:50 AM on May 6, 2011

We Insist! Max Roach's Freedom Now Suite
Cecil Taylor Unit - Nefertiti, The Beautiful One Has Come
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
John Coltrane - Ascension
Albert Ayler - Ghosts
Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz
Archie Shepp - Magic of Ju-Ju
Peter Brotzmann - Machine Gun
posted by box at 9:08 AM on May 6, 2011

Seconding L7 and also The Smiths but specifically "Meat is Murder." And if he doesn't love X-Ray Spex at that age, well.... SEND HIM BACK.
posted by RJ Reynolds at 10:18 AM on May 6, 2011

">In This Moment
posted by DisreputableDog at 10:20 AM on May 6, 2011

Itunes a set:

Led Zep (anything)
Ura Heap (stealin')
Godfathers (Birth School Work Death)
Megadeath (symphony of destruction)
Ministry (Stigmata or Flashback)
posted by stormpooper at 10:22 AM on May 6, 2011

Rebellion and danger are vital ingredients in so much music I have chosen to limit the following response to a few records that skew towards the punk genre.

70s/80s
Wire : "Pink Flag"
Gang of Four : "Entertainment!" (or get the collection "A Brief History of the Twentieth Century")
Stiff Little Fingers : "Inflammable Material"
Adolescents : "Adolescents"
Articles of Faith : "Complete Vol. 1 (1981-1983)"
Bad Brains : "Rock for Light"
Black Flag : "Damaged"
Naked Raygun : "Jettison"
Bad Religion : "No Control"
The Replacements : "Sorry Ma, Forgot to take out the Trash"
Fear : "The Record"
Minutemen : "Double Nickels on the Dime"
X : "Los Angeles"
X-Ray Spex : "Germ Free Adolescents"
7 Seconds : "The Crew"
Hüsker Dü : "New Day Rising"
Minor Threat : "Discography"

90s/00s
Fugazi : "Repeater", "13 songs"
Nation of Ulysses : "13-Point Program to Destroy America"
The Monorchid : "Who Put Out the Fire"
NomeansNo : "Live and Cuddly"
Refused : "Songs to Fan the Flames of Discontent", "Shape of Punk to Come"
Sleater-Kinney : "Call the Doctor", "Dig Me Out", "The Woods"
Skull Kontrol : "Deviate Beyond All Means of Capture"
Born Against : "The Rebel Sound of Shit and Failure"
Career Suicide : "Attempted Suicide"
Criminal Damage : "No Solution"
Pissed Jeans : "Hope for Men"
Fucked Up : "The Chemistry Of Modern Life"
Wives : "Erect the Youth Problem"
Pterodactyl : "Pterodactyl"
No Age : "Weirdo Rippers"
Rocket from the Crypt : "Group Sounds"
Hot Snakes : "Audit in Progress", "Suicide Invoice"
Deep Sleep : "Three Things at Once"
Regulations : "Regulations"

10s
White Lung : "It's the Evil"
OFF! : "First Four EPs"

I agree that hip hop and metal are underrepresented in the responses, but I leave those answers to others more well versed in those areas.
posted by safetyfork at 10:45 AM on May 6, 2011

This thread makes me so nostalgic. Great suggestions so far.

Coming in to nth NOFX, Bad Religion, and throw in Anti-Flag.
posted by radioamy at 10:50 AM on May 6, 2011

Oh and if you can get him to pick up a book, Our Band Could Be Your Life is pretty epic.
posted by radioamy at 10:52 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

Public Enemy fo show!!!!
posted by jasondigitized at 11:00 AM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

A lot of this is me enthusiastically n-thing others--y'all have great taste!

X, X-Ray Spex (topical...), Mission of Burma, the Slits, the Bush Tetras, Bikini Kill and Le Tigre, Heavens to Betsey, Sleater-Kinney, the Butchies, Patti Smith, Skinny Puppy, Ani DiFranco (no really...and the earlier stuff please), Black Flag, Minor Threat/Fugazi, Propagandhi, the Descendents, the Dead Milkmen, Husker Du, Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers, Galaxie 500, Crass, Guided By Voices, the Velvet Underground, Television, yes yes a million times yes to Gang of Four, Wire, Steve Albini's stuff (Shellac...Big Black might be too sexual for a 12 year old?), Television, Richard Hell and the Voidoids, Helium, Yoko Ono, Metal Urbain, the Velvet Underground, Public Image Ltd., the Au Pairs, Dog Faced Hermans, Dead Kennedys, the Cramps, Alien Sex Fiend, the Comsat Angels, the Sound, Sonic Youth, Cabaret Voltatire, Pere Ubu, the Minutemen, Sun Ra, Savage Republic, Pylon, This Heat, Buzzcocks, Devo, Melt Banana, the Germs, Electric Eels (so freaking underrated and perfect early teenage punk), James Chance and the Contortions, Lydia Lunch/Teenage Jesus and the Jerks, the Stooges, James Brown (yeah really), Polvo, Mars, DNA, Slint, the Pop Group, Chrome, Ike Yard, Magazine, Sebadoh/Sentridoh, the Birthday Party, Les Rallizes Denudes, Xiu Xiu, Josef K, A Certain Ratio, Section 25, Joy Division, 7 Seconds, the Sisters of Mercy, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Erase Errata, the Pixies/Breeders/Amps etc., Public Enemy (hell yes), the Melvins, the Meat Puppets, Unwound, Dalek, MX-80, Six Finger Satellite, Bad Brains, Tuxedomoon, the Specials, Bark Psychosis, Von Llmo, Don Caballero, Godflesh/Jesu, Unsane, Helmet, the Scissor Girls, Red Transistor, Dinosaur Jr., Mercenarias...

Throbbing Gristle and the Swans come to mind, but that might be way too premature.

Yay rebellion through music!
posted by ifjuly at 11:10 AM on May 6, 2011

Oh, and for "adolescent punk band you grow out of eventually", the Queers also come to mind. Speaking of that sort of thing, I forgot to add a hearty yes to the above recs for the Damned. They are so very good for teenage actin' out in a goofy way!
posted by ifjuly at 11:22 AM on May 6, 2011

Hip-hop is underrepresented, you say?

Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Ice Cube - Amerikkka's Most Wanted
Tupac - Strictly for My N.I.G.G.A.Z. (hey, I didn't title it)
Gravediggaz - Six Feet Deep
Brand Nubian - In God We Trust
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter the Wu-Tang
The Coup - Genocide and Juice
Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy - Hypocrisy is the Greatest Luxury
dead prez - Let's Get Free
Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vols. 1 & 2
Mr. Lif - I Phantom

(Whether you want gangsta or radical or horrorcore or something else, there's lots more where this came from.)
posted by box at 12:26 PM on May 6, 2011

Nthing Devo. Duty Now For The Future and Freedom of Choice are a good start. So's New Traditionalists.

Oh, and Quadrophenia. :)
posted by luckynerd at 1:27 PM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

great recommendations here. but not mentioned yet:

Gun Club - Fire of Love
Gun Club - Miami

amazing stuff
posted by jockc at 1:42 PM on May 6, 2011

N'thing Bad Religion - gateway drug to lots of other great stuff, and it's not just about rebellion, it's smart and positive at its core and is all about doing the hard work of questioning just about everything you were told was good for you as a kid (religion, capitalism, authority, etc). As a bonus he'll be reaching for his dictionary quite a bit.
posted by naju at 2:40 PM on May 6, 2011 [1 favorite]

Oh oh oh, I already posted once, but I just thought of The Donnas. Go with American Teenage Rock'n'Roll Machine or Get Skintight. Cute girls + three-chord punk!
posted by jess at 3:28 PM on May 6, 2011

COCK E.S.P.
posted by Joseph Gurl at 12:10 AM on May 7, 2011

nthing the tool suggestions. especially Lateralus.
posted by midnightbarber at 3:05 AM on May 7, 2011

« Older Does anyone know of a new, effective treatment for...   |   Should my puppy eat Blue Buffalo, Science Diet or... Newer »