Should I stay with my company or leave for another job?
May 2, 2011 3:37 PM   Subscribe

I've been living overseas for a decade and have decided to move home to be closer to my family. My multinational company has agreed in principal to transfer me to an office in my home country. I am happy at my current company, but negotiations are proceeding more slowly than I would like. Enter company B, a competitor, which has approached me about a similar position in the city I would like to move to. Should I stay or should I go?

A little more background. My current company has tentatively agreed to allow me to continue my current role remotely from the office in my home country. However, management is currently distracted as my department is in the middle of a major restructuring, and the terms of my relocation have not yet been hammered out. I have no reason to doubt their intent to move me, but I have nothing in writing, which makes me a little uneasy. I am generally happy in my current job, have a good relationship with management, and have been reasonably well looked after salary wise, etc.

Company B has an attractive looking position open in my home town which is a very similar role to my current one. I have reached the end of the interview process and am expecting to get an offer some time soon. They have already said they are willing to pay for my international relocation and I expect the salary to be competitive.

If Company B does make an offer I am a little torn as to which way to go. My current inclination is that given the relationships I have built up within the firm, if my present company matched company B's package (including relocation), I would probably prefer to stay. I am hesitant to use an offer from another company as leverage to improve my position, but feel that this might be the best chance I have to engineer a move with my current employer on attractive terms. However, I want to handle this as delicately as possible. Any advice would be appreciated!
posted by kramer1975 to Work & Money (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
 
I think I would go to Company A and explain my personal timeline, and ask for the increase and transfer, without mentioning Company B in the initial conversation. If they hem and haw, you can use Company B in a followup conversation, along the lines of, "I would far rather stay than change companies, but I have been exploring my options, because this relocation is very important to me." It's okay to overstate how strongly you want to stay with Company A in this conversation.

Be sympathetic to their restructuring, but also be firm about what you want, and get what you need in writing before turning down Company B.
posted by rosa at 4:00 PM on May 2, 2011 [1 favorite]


I don't think I would use either situation to overtly influence the other.

I would simply emphasise the importance you place on your move to the new location to company A and that you have a time line and need commitments. My experience is that it's essential to have both your current and future management fully on board to make this happen. International transfers seldom happen fast. There's a ton of administrata that will likely happen behind the scene.

As for Company B, I'm guessing they are a competitor. How would you feel about working for them? Would accepting the position with them be simply to make the move or would you consider an offer with them in your current location if they offered it? If it's something that excites you professionally and achieves the move then why not accept it.

Good luck. As one of my old bosses used to say: having options is a good thing.
posted by michswiss at 4:41 PM on May 2, 2011


It is often said that no one is irreplaceable, but I am sure you know how much
you are worth to your Company.
This is just a data point... I was in a similar position as you several years ago. I came to realize that relocating was even more important than actually having a job. So I decided to quit. And then I set a non-movable time frame for my international move.

This actually sped things up incredibly within my company. I was rehired in within a month, with a job position in my new city. They did not pay for the move though.

My point here is you can use your "irreplaceable" status (if you have such) as leverage.
posted by theKik at 4:56 PM on May 2, 2011


Be very delicate about using your (possible) offer with company B as leverage with your current employer. If it became known it is with a competitor you may find yourself in a precarious position, especially if you are in a role that has access to proprietary information.

This is based on US experience where people who *accept* positions with competitors are often immediately escorted to the door - no two weeks notice. Having an offer is different than accepting a position, but you can't be too careful.
posted by m@f at 5:25 PM on May 2, 2011


Make sure you don't have a non-compete or restrictive covenant in your employment contract.
posted by Neekee at 5:32 PM on May 2, 2011


« Older Ping pong -- or as the Chinese call it, "ping...   |   Countdown to Kid Destruction Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.