memories of mom

On this sacred day, what are your fondest memories of mom? It can be touching,funny, tear jerkish or anything.
posted by wheelieman to Human Relations (17 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

As a child, I once so enraged my Mom that she threw a two pronged meat fork at me. It flipped end over end and stuck in my shoulder. She never imagined in a million years that she would hit me. I ran into my bedroom and refused to come out, and I told her I was gonna call the cops. She's on her way over for lunch, I'll have to remind her of this story.
posted by fixedgear at 10:31 AM on May 8, 2005

I had a spoon thrown at me and bounce off my head....cutlery venting.
posted by alteredcarbon at 10:52 AM on May 8, 2005

Fondest huh? It's funny, my immediate reaction is to remember instances in my everyday life when she isn't around. Especially in the last couple of years when I was mostly overseas. It's like a ghost (more of an angel) standing over me in some situations with advice.
This feeling comes up at least a couple of times a week and usually at times when I've got some sort of moral decision to make. Do this or do that? I can almost hear her advice in the back of my head. It's comforting and nearly 'scary'. It's more than once that I've related such a story to her and we both laugh. (or 'scolded' her for carrying out her duties in spite of myself!)

I wish I could say I've always chosen the path she recommended. I mean, I still love her company IRL of course - but those twilight zone moments are lovely intrusions (mostly, heh).
Goodonya mum.
posted by peacay at 10:52 AM on May 8, 2005

My mom and I had run away from my dad and were homeless, living in LA, breaking into dressing rooms of photo studios and sets she had keys to for sleep and shower at night, going to school & work during the day and then the library, Griffith Park, everywhere. We didn't have anywhere to go, so we went all the cool places in LA for a kid.

It all seemed exciting and wonderful and more normal and good than anything up to that point. It was the most attention I'd ever gotten from either of my parents up until that point. It was the best time of my entire childhood.

(It only lasted a few weeks. I accidentally left "Hop on Pop" on a couch in my dad's photo studio and he found us.)

Looking back on it, of course, I appreciate how wonderful she was to me during that time for an entirely different reason, but it's still my fondest memory of my mom.
posted by Gucky at 11:04 AM on May 8, 2005

When I moved out of my parents' house after college, as I was getting ready to get in my car, my mom gave me a $500 check. "This is not for any one thing in particular," she said. "This is so, whenever you're considering buying a slightly worse thing or a slightly better thing that costs just a little bit more, you get the better thing."

I don't think that's exactly my fondest memory, but it sure made me think of her fondly a whole lot of times.
posted by 88robots at 12:28 PM on May 8, 2005

Mom and Dad were having their after-dinner coffee. Apparently the creamer had solidified into little balls in my mother's coffee, and she said "It looks like there's little orgasms in my coffee." She meant "organisms," I think, but I lauged so hard I stabbed her in the eye with my butter knife. She was ok, and we laughed and laughed.

RIP mom, happy Mother's Day.
posted by tr33hggr at 2:19 PM on May 8, 2005

Happy Mother's Day folks!
Here are some gems from mom. She recently got on the email bandwagon. Keep in mind, the woman has not read or written more than five pages worth of english in the last ten years (probably). I won't spell check this one...

From Mom:
Planing to weasite:
Dear B, Papa and I making a plan to weasite to
you on this week if you agree pleas give
anser back your Mom
---------------------------------
Re: Planing to weasite:
I reaseved your e-mail first time you wrote nise and
worm leter to me. I fill so good.
Thankyou
---------------------------------------
Re: D's FUNCTION
Hi B
It me agen.I got your email was good one. B I like
to tale you that insted of Thanks giving weekand yous
shood come on D's function which is on this
weekend,so you can come on Frayday night,
[your aunt] Told me she want to give a dainer parti
in a nise and good restorent and she want you all
three musketiars [me and my sisters] ataind the party
she will be happy,so disaed to come home this weekend
ok,
Bay
Mamy.

posted by crack at 2:45 PM on May 8, 2005

Mum sewed identical dresses for my sister and I and put ribbons in my hair...but now it would have to be ongoing uncondtional non judgemental love.
posted by Chimp at 3:05 PM on May 8, 2005

My mom is one of my very favorite people, but a "maternal" figure she is not. Once, when I was 7, we were eatng dinner in a restaurant. We were in a booth, and I had put my head in her lap and fallen asleep. One of the servers came into the dining room and asked everyone to leave calmly, as there was a grease fire in the kitchen. My mom picked up her purse and left. Without me. Oops.
posted by naturesgreatestmiracle at 4:26 PM on May 8, 2005 [1 favorite]

I appreciate she did the best she could. I wish her peace & happiness. I do not speak to her anymore. She is not a well woman.
Dad is my mom & dad rolled in to one. Love you daddy.
posted by Radio7 at 4:48 PM on May 8, 2005

I remember holding my weeping mom outside an old post office in Hoboken, New Jersey.

My mom had left Taiwan in the early 1970's to the States, and I was a year old when her mom was killed in a car accident. At the time, my mom hadn't seen my grandmother in a few years, but mailed out letters to her every few days from that post office. So while visiting Hoboken last year, I found myself hugging my mom, wondering what it was like to lose a mother half a world away.
posted by Mercaptan at 5:58 PM on May 8, 2005

Sacre-bleu's wife here....

One night when I was in high school I was having a snack in the kitchen and my mom was remarking on how she was turning 49 this year. I said: "no, you're turning 48." At that point I could not understand how she didn't know exactly how old she was. Now, at 38, I completely understand.

She was so excited to hear that she was actually a whole year younger than she thought she was that we both laughed hysterically. We laughed so hard that we had to huddle together in the basement stairwell so we wouldn't wake my father who had gone to bed early.

I don't know if it is my favorite memory but it's one that really sticks out. My mom and I laugh a lot together.

My sympathies to all those who have lost their moms.
posted by sacre_bleu at 6:34 PM on May 8, 2005

We often sat around the dinner table and talked after dinner. If my dad told a story she that really struck her as funny, she'd laugh until she had to pee, then run to the bathroom, yelling at my dad for making her have to pee.
posted by Mom at 7:43 PM on May 8, 2005

My Mom, conservative church lady background, is one of the funniest people on earth. She's not afraid to stir things up- she did this one skit at church years ago that involved holding up a push up bra that had PROMISE KEEPERS written across the front (Promise Keepers is a mens-only Christian rally- doesn't sound that funny, but how often do you see people showing off bras in church?). And then another time, she had fliers to hand out for something, and instead of having them passed out, she threw them all up in the air and let them fall on the people.

And then when I was at the end of my freshman year of college, and I was so stressed out because I very ill and hadn't started writing a huge paper due the next day, I called her crying and she said, "Just write a lot of BS.. and he'll probably love it and give you an A."
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 10:13 PM on May 8, 2005 [1 favorite]

I'm adopted, and one of my fondest memories is the day she attended my high school graduation. One of the student ushers asked me "is this your mum?" and when I said yes, she said "gee she looks like you!"

Mum and I just looked at each other and grinned; besides the brown hair we don't really have any shared features. It wasn't the comment though, it was just that shared secret moment between us that I remember a lot.
posted by chronic sublime at 5:56 AM on May 9, 2005

Not mine. But this is a tearjerker from a friend who lost her mom to ovarian cancer and wrote a song about it.
posted by vega5960 at 7:41 AM on May 9, 2005

1. My mom died 3 years ago from breast cancer but my fondest memory is just being able to tell her something that I knew we would both think was funny but my dad nor my brother wouldn't understand the humor. I have a friend I can sort of do this with now but that is one of the many things I remember about my mom. I thank her for my weird sense of humor.
2. I miss her stories about her childhood, meeting my dad, etc.
3. When I realized she was also my friend and she actually knew what she was talking about and I should listen to her advice.
posted by govtdrone at 9:21 AM on May 9, 2005

« Older Good footwear for Costa Rica's wet or "green"...   |   Male vs. Female Chromosome War? Newer »