Help me make my kitchen work for me!

I am looking for an app (android preferably, but iPad/iPhone ok) to help me keep my kitchen inventory... But with a special detail.

I keep my kitchen inventory in a google docs spreadsheet, which works fine (I can access it from anywhere, print, update easily), but I am ready to go higher tech. I would love something that takes advantage of the barcode scanner on my android and helps me log expiry dates (a tickler when something is about to expire would be neat!)

All this said, the feature that I most want is something that will tell me what (vegetarian?) recipes I can make with my current inventory... Or my current inventory + 1 or 2 items.

I know something like this exists (at least the first part of my question), but my searches lead only to commercial kitchen software and recipe sites. I checked all the links in this old question, but they aren't quite what I am looking for. Please point me in the right direction!
posted by LyndsayMW to Food & Drink (3 answers total) 10 users marked this as a favorite

Does BigOven help?
posted by ZeusHumms at 11:29 PM on April 21, 2011

I just just just found this app the other day and I love it:
Out of Milk

Doesn't do recipes though, but it scans and is pretty great.
posted by TomMelee at 7:11 AM on April 22, 2011

I've been looking around the web, and I can't find anything, mobile or web-based, that handles the latter part based on current pantry inventory. Not that it's a bad idea, but I can't find any implementation of something like that anywhere. My top results all seem to be throw in 4 ingredients and see what comes up.

And now I've found this:

http://www.recipekey.com/

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?
posted by ZeusHumms at 9:57 AM on April 22, 2011

« Older art school confidential   |   want to turn low res web image to higher res print... Newer »