Simple PHP gallery with RSS and easy uploads?

I'm looking for really simple PHP image gallery software that does RSS, automatically parses a directory of images, and automatically generates thumbnails. That's really about it.

Gallery2 and Plogger are pretty close, but both of these have way more features than I need, and also require a manual process via their GUIs to add pictures. PhotoStack (now no longer available) used to do this perfectly.

I want to be able to upload high-resolution JPEGs to a folder on the server (and add additional files to the same directory periodically), which the software would periodically or dynamically read in order to update the web view. It should auto-generate thumbnails.

It should do RSS, offer some really simple interface for users (not Flash). I want to host this on my own LAMP server.

Ideas?
posted by odinsdream to Computers & Internet (9 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite

I don't mean to be that guy, but the likely reason you can't find something that does this the way you like is simply because it's so simple. Do you know PHP?
posted by sonic meat machine at 5:42 PM on April 19, 2011

BolGallery has everything but RSS.

It should be relatively easy to add RSS functionality.
posted by 47triple2 at 5:48 PM on April 19, 2011

Zenphoto looks like a fit.
posted by any portmanteau in a storm at 5:52 PM on April 19, 2011 [1 favorite]

Also came in to suggest Zenphoto.
posted by special-k at 5:52 PM on April 19, 2011

Yes, I do, and I could easily do this if I had any free time at all. I'm interested in this for my month-old daughter's photo site, you see, so there isn't a lot of "project time" if you will.
posted by odinsdream at 6:28 PM on April 19, 2011 [1 favorite]

nthing Zenphoto. It took me a long time to find it, but I've been so incredibly happy with it ever since. Sure, I'm a web developer, but I just want something that works. FTP the images, and boom, I'm done.
posted by Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug at 7:42 PM on April 19, 2011

Zenphoto is absolutely perfect!
posted by odinsdream at 5:30 AM on April 20, 2011

I think what you are looking at is something similar to Single File PHP Gallery
There's no photo submission or administration process. You just upload the php file and point it to the root directory of photos. Each directory will be an ablum.

But it doesn't RSS capabilities. Maybe you'll be able to scrpit that or find some way to crawl the site using feedburner to generate a rss feed.
posted by WizKid at 1:10 PM on April 20, 2011

FuckFlickr will also do the trick and make you feel like a teenage rebel at the same time.
posted by mr.ersatz at 4:04 AM on April 21, 2011

« Older What non-teaching jobs are available for a...   |   justin.tv DVR? Newer »