Song ID from Season 1 Episode 6 of the Wire

Song from the Wire, season 1 episode 6. Here's a Youtube of the scene uploaded by someone else looking for it. It is not "Respect the Nubians" by Positive Black Soul, that comes after. It's not on the soundtrack disc. There are a lot of google hits for people looking for it but no one has found it. Do you know it?
posted by neustile to Media & Arts (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

I have conferred with a crack team of hip-hop wizards and we conclude that it was a song produced for the episode, made by someone who only half had any idea what rap is supposed to be like, and who knew this poet guy who really likes rap and he could be on it.
posted by Jairus at 1:23 PM on April 11, 2011 [1 favorite]

My guess is it's by a local Baltimore artist, but I can't find anything more specific right now either.

If you really get stuck, you could try emailing Blake Leyh. He was the music supervisor for that episode. Probably a busy guy, though, so I wouldn't have high hopes for a response.
posted by aganders3 at 1:43 PM on April 11, 2011

Whoever it is has a delivery similar to KC Flightt, but I'd also guess local artist. Definitely update the post if you find out who it is. There are a million underground rap artists.
posted by cashman at 1:49 PM on April 11, 2011

Gah, he even mentions that very scene in an old blog post, but it's about the Positive Black Soul song. Now I am frustrated.
posted by aganders3 at 1:58 PM on April 11, 2011

Response by poster: Jairus: thank you for letting me know that a sound wave emanating from a television set does not fit your notion of a style of music i never even mentioned.

aganders3: i agree, and i'll drop blake a line and see if he knows. thanks for the info.

cashman: i will!!!
posted by neustile at 2:48 PM on April 11, 2011

Attacking the lyrics only yielded up more pages looking for the song for me. Short of the artist or an insider telling us, it may just be a mystery.
posted by BeerFilter at 3:02 PM on April 11, 2011

This ILX post, which you've probably already seen, attempts to transcribe some of the lyrics (misses the '718,' though). Plugging chunks of those lyrics into ohhla was not rewarding.
posted by box at 8:00 PM on April 11, 2011

I think it's D.Reign, who also plays Frog in season 2.
posted by alby at 8:16 AM on April 12, 2011

D.Reign doesn't sound anything like the youtube clip.
posted by Jairus at 10:55 AM on April 12, 2011

This was asked about in the The Wire thread at Adtunes (which you probably have also seen), but came up empty as well. Sorry that thread doesn't help, but you are welcome to post in that thread if you would like a few more people to take a look at the video/thread for helping finding an answer.
posted by jca at 11:02 AM on April 12, 2011

« Older Buying guns: What to get and how to do it in CA?   |   adding t9 dictionaries to cellphones Newer »