Seeking Hardware: Articulated Joints
April 6, 2011 7:44 AM   Subscribe

I'm wanting to build a sculpture armature for small-to-medium-sized clay work. It'll be pretty typical, except that I want the horizontal support arm to have two articulated, lockable joints so I can easily reposition a sculpture while I'm working on it. I was picturing three long, thin bolts of a few inches length screwed on to some kind of joint with a wingnut. I've looked at hardware stores but haven't found anything like this and I'm not sure how to articulate what I need.

I've done a quick sketch of the armature here. The base would be roughly 10"x12" and the vertical support bar would be around 14".

A little jeweler's station like this has something like what I'm after, in how the joints work. I'd need to find a sturdier, detached version of these that would easily support a few pounds without buckling.

I'm hoping someone out there might know what I'm after, or tell me where to look. Thanks.
posted by picea to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Best answer: How about these?
posted by le morte de bea arthur at 7:53 AM on April 6, 2011

Almost certainly, the armature joints pointed out bt le morte de bea arthur are what you want.
posted by bz at 8:12 AM on April 6, 2011

Response by poster: If they can bear the weight and are easy to adjust, then I think those could be what I'm looking for. Thanks, le morte de bea arthur!
posted by picea at 5:29 AM on April 7, 2011

« Older Lupus. Pregnancy. What could go wrong?   |   Kids books auf Deutsch Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.