Where does Baudrillard talk about the hyperreal with reference to dildo mounted cameras?

posted by FuckingAwesome to Religion & Philosophy (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

(Eponysterical)

I'm pretty sure it's not in Simulations, but maybe in his coffee-table book America? I can check later to see if there's an index, but I don't remember the reference.
posted by Mngo at 5:29 AM on April 5, 2011

This Baudrillard index lists the only mention of "dildo" on page 148 of Fragments: Cool Memories III, 1990-1995, though it doesn't cross-reference with hyper-reality. Try there though?
posted by Felicity Rilke at 6:33 AM on April 5, 2011

Hey, it's Zizek and not Baudrillard who talks about this. He describes it as "the ultimate embodiment of the passion for the real". Thanks anyway!
posted by FuckingAwesome at 6:34 AM on April 5, 2011 [2 favorites]

(By "try there" I mean check out the index, something might jog your memory. What I can find of the quote on page 148 suggests that it isn't the reference you are looking for.) You can also email the author of the index, I imagine he is someone who could help track down what you're looking for.
posted by Felicity Rilke at 6:37 AM on April 5, 2011

"Is not the ultimate embodiment of the passion for the Real the option one gets on hard-core porn websites of observing the inside of the vagina from the vantage point of a tiny camera at the top of the penetrating dildo?"

Ahh, Zizek. You say what we're all thinking.
posted by robself at 7:05 AM on April 5, 2011 [6 favorites]

« Older Isle of Wight holiday recommendations please?   |   Lacking knickknacks for backpacking Newer »