Muffling vibrations from below?
April 2, 2011 6:55 PM   Subscribe

Any ideas for a material to put underneath a Lazy-Boy chair to muffle vibrations from below?

Please don't rag on us for not adopting another solution. This is just something we're thinking about trying. The base of the chair is about 2 1/2x3 ft. Do they still make those dense, rubber pads we used to see underneath chairs in offices? Ideas for other dense materials would be welcome.
posted by tangram1 to Home & Garden (8 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
Best answer: I don't understand. Vibrations from the chair? Is it a massage chair? Or vibrations from like a home theater system in the basement?

If the chair vibrates I'd probably try a variety of foam rubber pads under the feet of the chair. Most military or surplus stores have a bunch to choose from for like $0.95 a square foot.
posted by sanka at 7:37 PM on April 2, 2011

Best answer: Sorbothane makes vibration isolators. I'm not sure of the price, but they'll definitely help regardless of what exactly you're doing.
posted by rhizome at 7:40 PM on April 2, 2011

Response by poster: Sorry, we want to muffle vibrations from activity in the downstairs apartment. It's an old building. It's hard when we're trying to concentrate or relax in the chair and it gets rowdy downstairs. We're exploring other suggestions for dealing with that and want to add this to our toolkit. Thanks rhizome!
posted by tangram1 at 8:43 PM on April 2, 2011

Response by poster: I've just emailed Matt at Sorbothane to ask about prices. This could be just the thing!
posted by tangram1 at 8:52 PM on April 2, 2011

Best answer: a mat like you put under a treadmill, maybe? Or those interlocking foam play mats? (not really aesthetically pleasing for a living room, though).
posted by lemniskate at 9:28 PM on April 2, 2011

Best answer: If the chair is vibrating, then pads, as rhizome links, are suitable. A pad under the whole chair will only be operating at the points of contact between the legs and the floor. If you are imagining sound dampening, then that's not a localized treatment. You would need to cover the whole floor, or most of it. Lead impregnated linoleum is used for that sometimes.

Just a heads up, but I bought some industrial anti-vibration pads and they turned out to be greasy and caustic, they damaged the painted surfaces they sat on.
posted by StickyCarpet at 9:32 PM on April 2, 2011

Response by poster: It's not the sound so much as the chair shaking, SC. The whole floor is shaking, but if the only populated place in the living room is the chair...
posted by tangram1 at 9:59 PM on April 2, 2011

Best answer: You could try the rubber mats used in restaurants. They're thick and I've used them to buffer sound before. In my case, it was to dampen vibrations & sound from a garage door opener into a kitchen and I saw the fix on "This Old House". They used mudflap pieces picked up off the side of the road but I wasn't that lucky and used a scrap of rubber mat.
posted by jaimystery at 5:18 PM on April 3, 2011

« Older Is there a website showing tax payments by public...   |   Anyone have an easy, yeast-free bread recipe? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.