Fix my phonograph
March 29, 2011 11:06 AM   Subscribe

Restoring a Technics SL-D3 turntable. Can I use the stock/modern DJ turntable parts?

I recently found my old turntable when I was a kid. It's a Technics SL-D3 from around 1980. Amazingly its still in working condition! However I need to replace some parts. Namely the headshell and stylus. I'd also like to replace the plastic dust cover too. Mine appears to have a cracked hinge.

So my question is can I use modern parts from the newer DJ turntables like the SL-1200's? I don't know if all the parts are standard and interchangeable but SL-1200 parts seem to be the easiest to find anywhere.

And if not, can I get recommendations on easy to find replacement parts. I'm not looking for high-end audiophile parts that are super expensive. I just want to listen to my old Clash and Sugar Hill records again.
posted by cazoo to Grab Bag (3 answers total)
I may not be very helpful because I am not sure what Technics I have, but when I went to replace the cartridge I couldn't find a technics one easily. The record store sold me this one and it works like a dream.

I think you won't have many problems with new parts being made for a Technics turntable, there are still a lot of them around.
posted by Duffington at 11:59 AM on March 29, 2011

You might have more success asking the folks at
posted by xtine at 3:13 PM on March 29, 2011

Response by poster: Okay, thanks for the info. I did a little more digging around and found that some sellers have the old parts for this. I think I'll go that route instead of trying to use something newer.
posted by cazoo at 4:48 PM on March 29, 2011

« Older Your Experience with IT Certifications? Do They...   |   What is this type of earring called? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.