Chicago Girls' Trip Music Needed
March 28, 2011 1:42 PM   Subscribe

What are some vibey music venues (indie, rock, blues) and restaurants we should not miss in Chicago? The more unique local flavor the better.

Headed to Chicago for ladies' weekend (ages 35-40), April 1-4 staying at Sax Hotel.
posted by Goodgrief to Travel & Transportation around Chicago, IL (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Buddy Guy's Legends (just saw him perform over the weekend - the old dude can still rock the house!)
posted by SuperSquirrel at 1:53 PM on March 28, 2011

The Empty Bottle, Schuba's and the Double Door for indie rock.
posted by monkey!knife!fight! at 2:22 PM on March 28, 2011

Oh, and if you can make it to Hot Doug's - you'll have the best encased meat in all of Chicago. Go on Saturday for duck fat fries. Be prepared to wait in line.
posted by monkey!knife!fight! at 2:24 PM on March 28, 2011

The Hideout!! The homiest of home-town seemingly secret clubs. It's in an industrial area and the street in front is all torn up right now, but it's very welcoming on the inside. If you're in town the night of the 4th, go see Robbie Fulks.

There are tons of venues though. Chicago Reader will have all the listings you need.
posted by hydrophonic at 2:26 PM on March 28, 2011 [1 favorite]

Lincoln Hall is about a 10-15 minute cab ride from your hotel. Back in September I saw Marina and the Diamonds there, it might be my favorite show ever. There's a bar and grill out front with tasty, tasty appetizers.
posted by slmorri at 2:55 PM on March 28, 2011

Martyr's is a great venue. I'll throw it into the mix of the other great places already mentioned. Definitely check out the Reader's listings then go for which ever band(s) fit your mood.
posted by jeff-o-matic at 3:35 PM on March 28, 2011

2nding the Hideout and Hot Doug's...always a good time. Also look at what's playing at The Empty Bottle and The Green Mill (for Jazz). If something piques your interest at the Logan Square Auditorium, Lula Cafe is just next door and remains one of my favorite dining spots in Chicago.

Also, Irazu for Costa Rican food is in the general neighborhood (another short cab ride) as many of the places listed above. Gapers Block is another good resource outside of the reader.
posted by shrimpsmalls at 6:48 PM on March 28, 2011

Lee's Unleaded Blues in Grand Crossing. It's small and hard to get to on public transit, but it has no shortage of flavor. Seconding Green Mill, Empty Bottle, and Hideout.
posted by hal incandenza at 8:05 AM on March 29, 2011

Pick up a copy of the Reader and visit Gapers Block (self-link; thanks shrimpsmalls!) for a good picture of what's going on while you're in town. Any and all of the above venues are cool, but only if you're interested in who's playing.

Restaurants: Get a reservation for The Publican if you're into meat, seafood and beer. Hit Al's #1 on Taylor Street or Mr. Beef on Orleans for an Italian beef -- it's as quintessentially Chicago as a hot dog or pizza. If you'd like to explore a neighborhood, Andersonville is a great neighborhood to check out. Lots of good restaurants and bars, and plenty of neat boutiques if you're interested in shopping.
posted by me3dia at 9:08 AM on March 29, 2011

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. Trip was a success. Music venues hit were The Green Mill and Rosa's Blues Bar. We tried to hit the Double Door, but Black Joe Lewis was sold out that night.

For food and drinks- The Violet Hour (Drinks), Big Star, Coco Pazzo, Hugo's Frog Bar, The Gage, Rockit

Comedy - Second City
posted by Goodgrief at 12:46 PM on April 5, 2011

« Older What is my career?   |   How to get burned CD's working right Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.