Let me have light!

Where can I buy this light fixture? (Or one similar to it.) It appears to be made of white plastic/vinyl - similar to what plastic file folders are made out of.
posted by jferg to Home & Garden (8 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Looks very similar to the IKEA Fillsta (available in a few different sizes).
posted by 6550 at 8:01 AM on March 25, 2011

Ikea's Knappa is a bit same-y, and a bargain $30.
posted by kmennie at 8:02 AM on March 25, 2011

I have that lamp (and variants) in home decor stores in my area (Northern California). If I get downtown today I'll wander into the ones where I expect I've seen them to check if it was in my town, or somewhere nearby.

And, yeah, I think when we saw them we thought "Oh cool, we should make that", and decided that we could go buy some white sheet styrene as our construction material.
posted by straw at 8:02 AM on March 25, 2011

Best answer: I am positive I've seen that at Ikea, but no luck in searching. However, this very similar one is available and it's called a ZE light. Here is one on Ebay, or here is an Ebay store that seems to sell them.
posted by aabbbiee at 8:04 AM on March 25, 2011

Best answer: It seems to be called the IQ Lamp, and is available in a variety of shapes, colours and sizes.
It's currently for sale on both ebay and etsy and there's a larger array available at Bank St Framing

I hope that sheds some light on your problem.
posted by Heart_on_Sleeve at 8:08 AM on March 25, 2011

Best answer: The IKEA lights are close, but IQ lights are based on interlocking, identical shapes like the light in the picture. All you need is a template for the shape (I have one but can't seem to find it right now) and that site gives detailed instructions on how to assemble them into different three-dimensional forms. Looks like a cool DIY project that I'm going to try as soon as I get the right translucent plastic.
posted by itstheclamsname at 8:10 AM on March 25, 2011

Response by poster: Thanks, guys - that helps a lot. Mrs. jferg and our soon-to-be remodeled bathroom thank you!
posted by jferg at 8:30 AM on March 25, 2011

Just to add - I saw some of those in Thailand in Kho Samet and spent the entire trip looking to find some to buy. I love them.
posted by BleachBypass at 8:37 PM on April 2, 2011

« Older Help with Fuji x100   |   How much can you know about a person with just 6... Newer »