Started a new relationship, now old flame wants to try again.

Four months into a new relationship an old flame emails out of the blue saying she wants to try things again, after she ended it the first time. What do I do?

So I posted this question. Let's call her A.

I stepped back a tremendous amount, and although we met up a couple times after that and things went very well, I'm afraid the damage was already done. So things went from her saying she hasn't met anyone like me in a long time, wants a long term relationship, etc., because I was acting pretty needy and I think she had some commitment issues, she said we were not a good fit, and ended things via email. I was beginning to care for her quite a bit, so was disappointed.

I replied and said ok, ran into her once at a festival 4 months ago, gave a little hug and hi, and that was it. Till yesterday.

In the meantime, I had done a lot of introspection, read up quite a bit on improving myself, started on antidepressants, and biggest of all hit it off with someone new, let's call her B. I am a very different person now. We've been together 3-4 months now, and things have been going very very well, couldn't be better. We've told each other "I love you" and things are great. We support each other a lot, I get along with her friends, we have great fun together, etc. Like any person, there are a couple things about me that aren't perfect, and the same for her.

So yesterday I got an email from A, saying she's thought about me a lot, felt she missed the boat, and wants to try things again. She doesn't think she's ever met a person more perfect for her than me, and sees a long term relationship with me, and wants to know if I'm single or available. She wanted to wait until she was ready emotionally and time-wise and was sure she could make a full commitment to me before she contacted me again, and while she can't guarantee things will work out this time, she really wants to try because she thinks we'd be really good together.

We exchanged a couple emails where I said I've been seeing someone for a few months, but did admit regret that things had ended between us and I do wonder what things would be like if we got together.

She apologized for putting all this out there and reiterated that she thinks I may be the guy for her. She said if I think my current girlfriend is the one, or could be the one, I should cut her (A) out of my life completely. If I don't think she could be the one, then I should really think seriously about what she's suggesting.

I am really confused. I don't know if I should be confused. It's been bothering me a lot and my girlfriend has noticed, even though I haven't told her what is bothering me. A has a few qualities that I like over B, but I don't really know A as well as I know B. I should also mention A and I did sleep together, and there was remarkable amount of attraction between us, from the first date. I'm sure that A is a good person, but I don't know if I would ever click the way I click with B. In fact, this is all presupposing I break up with B, which is something that I can't even see myself doing, much less to be with someone else, which is a very shitty thing to do.

Should I cut off all communication with A, and tell her if I ever find myself single again, I will seek her out, in the meantime we should not be communicating? In fact, if B read the emails between A and I, B would probably break up with me. Should I stop engaging this drama and focus on the normal, healthy relationship I have?
posted by anonymous to Human Relations (51 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Should I cut off all communication with A, and tell her if I ever find myself single again, I will seek her out, in the meantime we should not be communicating?

Sure. Or just say that you're very into your current relationship, and leave it at that. When she said the boat sailed, she was right.
posted by mikeh at 4:12 PM on March 17, 2011 [3 favorites]

Should I stop engaging this drama and focus on the normal, healthy relationship I have?

Yes, absolutely you should focus on the normal healthy relationship you have.
posted by Zophi at 4:13 PM on March 17, 2011 [27 favorites]

Yes. You don't want to be with a person who called it quits for whimsical reasons, and if there are good reasons for the relationship ending, you would be wise to stay broken up.

Like Admiral Ackbar says, it's a trap.
posted by griselda at 4:17 PM on March 17, 2011 [26 favorites]

You know the old adage that people always want what they can't have? While she could have you, she didn't. Now that she can't, she does. At least that's my impression. Focus on the good relationship you have, and forget about the past. You've moved on, now it's her turn.
posted by cgg at 4:18 PM on March 17, 2011 [5 favorites]

"We've been together 3-4 months now, and things have been going very very well, couldn't be better."

Dude, you could very easily poison this well and in three months time find yourself with no one and wondering how it all went wrong. A has already shown she wasn't into you once, whereas B hasn't. Whom do you want to put your faith in?

If you want the drama, it definitely seems like that's A's specialty, and perhaps yours too.
posted by fantasticninety at 4:18 PM on March 17, 2011 [7 favorites]

You said you're happy with B? If yes, then don't complicate your life, stop emailing A and making yourself confused, stop letting it affect your happy relationship.

Sure it's exciting to have someone else want you, and it's easy to give in to emailing them, but avoiding drama is usually best. And if things worked so easily with B from the start, then maybe stick with that. Don't throw out a good thing for someone who says you were too needy, when you have someone who says they love you the way you are.
posted by never.was.and.never.will.be. at 4:20 PM on March 17, 2011 [4 favorites]

You said "I Love You" to B, yet you still have been emailing with the old flame recently??

That's not fair or cool to B.

As others have noted, if you are smart, you will focus entirely on the healthy relationship you have.
posted by jbenben at 4:21 PM on March 17, 2011 [7 favorites]

Are you

A. A character in a soap opera whose decisions are driven by screenwriters' need to maximize length and intensity of drama

Yes, you should break up your wonderful relationship with B which has been going great to pursue someone who dumped you, and now out of the blue has second thoughts (and to top it off has started the process of reconnecting with you by issuing an ultimatum!?!?! WTF?!)

B. A real person who wants to be healthy and happy

Tell A you're sorry, but you've moved on.

Your choice.

I don't mean to be hard on you, it's just I've been watching Grey's Anatomy, and to my eyes this is exactly the dichotomy you're facing - enter the ridiculous (but gripping) world of Grey's Anatomy or make sensible choices..
posted by Salvor Hardin at 4:22 PM on March 17, 2011 [16 favorites]

*facepalm* Please remember that there is no "one." There are people we are sexually attracted to and people we enjoy being in a relationship with. When there is both it's time to date them. That A is getting those two things mixed up with some added silly mysticism. She is also basically saying "if I can't have you I want nothing to do with you," which is kinda fucked up.

I am really confused. I don't know if I should be confused. It's been bothering me a lot and my girlfriend has noticed, even though I haven't told her what is bothering me.

Tell her what happened. It'll be better for you, and when she gets over it better for her.
posted by The Devil Tesla at 4:23 PM on March 17, 2011 [3 favorites]

You are getting tricked by the "what if's", the unknown. Works in movies, not so much in real life.
That's the thrill of drama trying to pull you in. Also, if you feel you weren't the 'best' you in the last relationship, part of this confusion might be stemming from the need to be the new you in the context of the first relationship, to prove yourself.

You learned, you have a good relationship, you like it, you like her.

My vote is for letting go of the drama.

(Also, 'A' putting you in the position of cutting off all contact with her might be manipulative, beware. Especially if her words were 'cutting' and 'completely'. Black and white. Drama.)
posted by Vaike at 4:25 PM on March 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

She said if I think my current girlfriend is the one, or could be the one, I should cut her (A) out of my life completely. If I don't think she could be the one, then I should really think seriously about what she's suggesting.

How nice of her to just lay it all out for you like that! ::rolls eyes:: I particularly like that it's been 4 months since you've seen her, so she's romanticized you to bits. Tell her you're not interested and move on. Don't even make it about "I have a girlfriend", because even if you didn't, you don't need to be with someone who plays games like this.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 4:25 PM on March 17, 2011 [26 favorites]

this is called "hooking." and A is a "hooker" (all side comments ignored!). she is playing with you (perhaps unintentionally). and she doesn't want to lose you. and the fact that you wrote her and admitted regret that things had ended between us and I do wonder what things would be like if we got together means that you let her hook you in, even though you really dig the person you're with. you reciprocated with the energy she was looking for. which isn't cool in many people's books and is not kind to you, either.

cut her out and move on with someone who you are with now who is being good to you.
posted by anya32 at 4:34 PM on March 17, 2011 [7 favorites]

she said we were not a good fit, and ended things via email.

Two things ...

1) You should believe her when she says you're not a good fit for each other. She was probably right the first time. People generally are.

2) Dude, she broke up with you via email. Good people don't do this. You know who does this? Jackasses do this.

Show some respect for yourself. Cut her off at the knees before she hurts you. Again.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 4:47 PM on March 17, 2011 [5 favorites]

The way you wrote this question made it sound like you had a real history with A, but if I'm not mistaken, you knew her only about two days before you asked your last question, back in October. You couldn't possibly know enough about her to ditch your current relationship, unless you're really not into your current relationship.

Tell her the ship has sailed. Literally tell her that, and then focus on B. Maybe enjoy the ego boost for a little while, but don't tell anyone about that.
posted by malapropist at 4:53 PM on March 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

She ended it. She's out of the picture.

I don't understand why people get back with people they have broken up with. It wasn't meant to be for a reason, don't backtrack.
posted by darkgroove at 4:59 PM on March 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

My ex went for this, and the girl with commitment issues who wasn't that into him 4 months previous was suddenly...not that into him. And still had commitment issues. Lasted a month plus at least another month of back-and-forth drama.
posted by the young rope-rider at 5:13 PM on March 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

You've told B you love her. Do you? If you do, this is really, really easy: tell A to sod off (perhaps more diplomatically).

If you're bored of B, break up with her and pursue A. Just don't be surprised when things end badly with A.
posted by J. Wilson at 5:21 PM on March 17, 2011

Do not, under any circumstances, get back with A. This person is emotionally manipulative and wants to have their cake and eat it too. Cut off contact entirely. Even if you were single I would give you the same advice.
posted by smithsmith at 5:27 PM on March 17, 2011 [3 favorites]

In my opinion, A is playing on a classic symptom of anxiety (that I assume you might experience, based on the fact that you mentioned you started antidepressants): endless grasping. You are grasping for a what-if: the hypothetical perfect, be-all, end-all, magical relationship, which is unlikely to provide you any more fulfillment or satisfaction than your current reality. Stay with the amazing, wonderful things that you have right here, right now, reassure yourself that you're doing the right thing, and end all communication with A.
posted by Betty's Table at 5:27 PM on March 17, 2011 [3 favorites]

Here's something it took me a very long time to learn: "The One" (such as it exists) IS NOT A PERSON. "The One" is A RELATIONSHIP. It is a relationship founded on mutual trust, loyalty, and chemistry (sexual and otherwise). It's when you both see yourselves as being on the same team. It's when you know you have your partner's back, and you also know they have yours.

Has A ever given you any reason to believe that she can be this partner? Has B? Proceed accordingly.
posted by scody at 5:35 PM on March 17, 2011 [140 favorites]

She wanted to wait until she was ready emotionally and time-wise and was sure she could make a full commitment to me before she contacted me again, and while she can't guarantee things will work out this time, she really wants to try because she thinks we'd be really good together.

This is code for 'she's been looking around for the past four months and couldn't find anything better, so now she regrets what she did.'
posted by unannihilated at 5:37 PM on March 17, 2011 [7 favorites]

This woman, A, is bad news. Your current companion, B, deserves to be with someone who knows that and can resist temptation and (pointless!) drama.

Conduct yourself accordingly.
posted by SMPA at 5:38 PM on March 17, 2011 [4 favorites]

Kick A in the A and move on.
posted by Guy_Inamonkeysuit at 5:59 PM on March 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

"I'm sorry, I'm not interested."

Not interested in what? Let her stew about it. Five words and you're back to working on healthy relationships without the epic drama.
posted by fairytale of los angeles at 6:00 PM on March 17, 2011 [3 favorites]

Let me take a minute to rearrange what you've written a bit.

"Four months into a new relationship an old flame emails out of the blue saying she wants to try things again, after she ended it the first time. I am really confused; I stepped back a tremendous amount, and although we met up a couple times after that and things went very well, I'm afraid the damage was already done. I am a very different person now; should I stop engaging this drama and focus on the normal, healthy relationship I have?"

To which my answer is, yes. You should stop engaging in that drama, and focus on the healthy relationship you have in hand.
posted by mhoye at 6:18 PM on March 17, 2011 [2 favorites]

This is her, dropping a great big Selfish Bomb in your lap. I don't find this proposal romantic in any way; I find it hostile.

I'll tell you why: a nice person asks, 'Hey, I don't suppose you're still single?' and waits for the answer before suggesting you dump your girlfriend. If she had any real interest in your happiness, she wouldn't have just tried to throw a grenade into your life.
posted by hot soup girl at 6:38 PM on March 17, 2011 [16 favorites]

I'm so confused by all this, mostly by you describing someone you knew for roughly 48 hours five months ago as an "old flame".

To clarify, this is someone who you went out with a couple of times in fall 2010, who demonstrated that they liked you but lacked maturity to break up with you over the phone or in person when they ultimately ended things.

You're now in a relationship with someone that you love, you've known for roughly 4x (being generous) the amount of time that you knew person A. You're happy together, you support each other, things are great.

And A, who you dated a handful of times and you just to reiterate dumped you via email five months ago pops back into the picture, says she thinks you might be The One wants to get back together. Second thoughts are normal in any relationship. The allure of the unknown is, well, alluring. But don't mess up the good thing you've got with someone who actually knows you for a hypothetical thing with someone who doesn't know you at all.

You've also got to ask: if she's so great, why is she thinking that some guy that she barely knew and acted a little needy five months ago is The One? Are you sure you want to take on that boatload of issues she has in her trunk?
posted by arnicae at 6:55 PM on March 17, 2011 [2 favorites]

caveat: if what you mean by this question is, I like the relationship I'm in, my girlfriend is awesome, but I think I don't want to date her anymore, the answer is substantially different. If your heart is no longer in the relationship, it doesn't matter if things seem good and fun. For her sake as well as yours break things off if you're no longer happy with the relationship. Don't linger, it isn't kind to either of you.
posted by arnicae at 6:55 PM on March 17, 2011 [3 favorites]

In short...went with B. Now married to B. Wonder how A is doing sometimes, but don't miss the drama.
posted by ejaned8 at 7:28 PM on March 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

I read this asking: what would make this person go back with A?? Answer: a few qualities A has but B doesn't, and a lot of attraction in bed.

Note the qualities A has that you like. Seek those out in yourself and your friends. Spice up your love live with B; be more open about your fantasies and what you like, and try to really understand B's fantasies and what B likes.

Or, decide for yourself that what is missing with B (those characteristics, the chemistry) are dealbreakers, and find someone who has those. Please do not consider A a real option here; A will likely flake on you again once you are available.
posted by salvia at 7:37 PM on March 17, 2011 [1 favorite]

*A* is not the one. I promise you.

I have been in that position . . .not 4 months in, but pulled the plug on something promising to go back to someone who dumped me and then was contrite about it. Big mistake, as I got dumped again.

Please look at *A* as Lucy, holding the football for you to once again try to kick, but she will for sure jerk it out of the way and you will end up on your ass again.

*B* may or may not work out for you. But *A* won't.
posted by Danf at 7:43 PM on March 17, 2011 [7 favorites]

From what you describe, it doesn't sound like resuming things with A would reflect well on either of you. Weirdly dishonest shit like this can really undermine the joy you should be having with your new relationship and that may be her aim. Concentrate on the person to whom you've just recently professed your love. Delete the emails.

Don't piss in your chips.
posted by bonobothegreat at 7:47 PM on March 17, 2011

How nice of her to just lay it all out for you like that! ::rolls eyes:: I particularly like that it's been 4 months since you've seen her

Yeah, this is what struck me too. In what way are you supposed to "cut her out of your life completely" that you hadn't already done? Sometime in the next four months when you see her at a festival, you DON'T say hi?

That's some really childish manufactured drama on A's part. Stay with B and tell A you're doing so; delete the emails and empty the trash.
posted by torticat at 8:19 PM on March 17, 2011

A is being manipulative and you're being shitty to B.

Drop the self-indulgent hand-wringing and focus on what you've got.
posted by AV at 8:29 PM on March 17, 2011 [4 favorites]

Stop the focus on old gf. You are in a relationship with someone you love. To jeopardize that for someone who has dumped you makes no sense. Put this energy into your relationship.
posted by theora55 at 9:04 PM on March 17, 2011

Have to admit I kind of want you to dump B and hook up with A, because it sounds to me like you two deserve each other. If nothing else it could be a learning experience for you.
posted by milk white peacock at 9:21 PM on March 17, 2011 [2 favorites]

Run.
posted by hal_c_on at 10:29 PM on March 17, 2011

Good God, man; there's enough drama in the two posts for a bus full of 14-year-olds. Ask B what she thinks... or get your head out of your backside as soon as humanly possible.
posted by ambient2 at 12:19 AM on March 18, 2011

A: dramaz attraction treating the relationship as more intimate than it really was, dramaz dramaz compelling storyline, dumped you over email. Hasn't seen you in four months -> senses you are no longer fixated on her, successfully takes action to change that becaise what the relationship is *really* about is *her having your full attention*. So in a way, you are both right about the relationship being more intimate than any externally observable reality would suggest, because it was about two people thinking to each other. That's very compelling. But not actually rewarding. It will completely drain you. You won't be able to think about anything but A even though she is boring. A has no life and compensates by trying to assimilate your life.

Also, four months? Now she's back? Maybe all her other bfs dumped her and she's looking through old prospects like an alcoholic looking for loose change under the sofa cushions? I am in no way being sarcastic.

The urgent, exploding-offer kind of ultimatum she used to get back in touch (and how stylish of her, not) suggests desperation on her part, which she is trying to project onto you. She may be more parasitic than you know. Think of her as an addict who is looking to you for a loan or a place to crash.

I see you've already incriminated yourself. Bad idea. Otherwise I'd suggest having a little fun with A's emotions, probably by ignoring her. As it is, I'd give her a firm "no" and *then* ignore her.

She may try to stir up trouble with B using the emails as evidence. Not much you can do about that except learn from your mistakes.

tl;dr Do not feed the dramaz.
posted by tel3path at 2:50 AM on March 18, 2011 [3 favorites]

When I was young (REALLY young, like between 18-21) I was a lot like A. In squaring what the media had taught me about relationships with how they actually are in the infinitely more complicated real world, I tended to confuse drama/tumult with actual devotion. In my case, it wasn't malicious, but I hurt a couple people pretty deeply before I got my head on straight. I wasn't trying to manipulate anyone, but I ended up as the villain in each situation all the same.

I'm not saying A and my very young adult self are the same, and I'm not saying A isn't consciously manipulating you - she may very well be - but I'm just saying, from someone who's been on the other side, there's very little chance you and A will end up happy. Someone who's in a good place for a relationship doesn't try to break up a happy one. She's still got issues to work through, and you don't need to be around to see it happen because if you are, you're going to sustain a lot of collateral damage.

Don't be cruel to A - give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's not malicious. Let her down civilly (I really hate the suggestion of playing with her emotions - yikes), wish her well, and get on with your life.
posted by superfluousm at 5:32 AM on March 18, 2011 [3 favorites]

God. Ask B what she thinks you should do. If I were her I really wouldn't want to be with someone who was telling me he loved me but was also considering dumping me for someone he barely knew months ago because she's better in bed. And who snuck around sending emails to this person admitting to her that he regretted that things ended with her rather than not caring at all because he was so in love with me and happy to be with me.

If I were B, I would dump you. But ask her.
posted by Polychrome at 6:04 AM on March 18, 2011 [6 favorites]

I agree. I don't mean to dump on you—everybody has flaws, and yours don't seem especially worse than anybody else's—but if you're going to learn something from the experience of these two relationships (and the related AskMes), learn this: You are a dramatic person. You like drama. I'm not your psychologist and I don't have any idea why or where it comes from. But if someday soon you're sitting around chatting with friends and one person volunteers, "I hate drama!", then you should not concur. That would be dishonest. You like drama.

If you can accept that, then you can make some progress with your question. The next step is this: Do you like that you like drama? Realize that you can answer either 'yes' or 'no,' and neither answer is wrong or bad. Liking drama doesn't make you a bad person; it makes you a dramatic person. It may, depending how you exercise it, tend to make you a hurtful person (e.g., hurtful to B, here)...but not necessarily. You can live a drama-filled life, if that's what makes you happy. You'll find plenty of people who are looking for exactly that. Your ex-fling "A" seems to be one, for instance.
posted by red clover at 7:02 AM on March 18, 2011 [2 favorites]

Let B go, so she can find a boyfriend who won't seriously consider throwing her aside when a former fling (because when you date someone for 48 hours and they dump you via email for over-texting one day, that's not a relationship, that's a damn fling) comes sniffing around hoping for another fling.

Because that's all you're going to get out of A this time around, too, is a fling.
posted by palomar at 7:17 AM on March 18, 2011

Like you suggested, tell A that if you ever find yourself single you might seek her out, and end communication.

Let yourself be in your current relationship. If the re-emerging of A is bringing to the surface reasons you actually might not want to be with B, let that come in time, let yourself process your feelings. It will handle itself. Don't be scared about missing A's boat...deal with that when and it doesn't work out with B. But it sounds like it could really be wonderful with B.

You might look at those qualities you see in A that B doesn't have, and examine yourself. Are these qualities that you actually want to see in yourself? I think we often project virtues we lack in ourselves onto others. Cultivate those virtues in yourself, and also imagine how B might actually possess them also, in ways that aren't immediately apparent.
posted by Thinkmontgolfier at 7:56 AM on March 18, 2011 [3 favorites]

I really think the focus on what you're going to get out of A is misplaced. The fact that you're seriously considering this says pretty clearly that your feelings for B just aren't that strong, self-professed love aside. You owe it to her to end that relationship, or at least be honest with her (which will likely amount to the same thing).
posted by J. Wilson at 8:08 AM on March 18, 2011

She broke up with you via email. She is trying to get back together with you via email.

This woman doesn't want a romantic relationship, she wants a penpal.

posted by aristan at 8:20 AM on March 18, 2011 [4 favorites]

I don't agree with others who say you've done something wrong by communication with A and being honest with her. Don't feel guilty! We all have a right to question what is best for us, and what love is for us, and we don't always choose the events that bring up those issues.
posted by Thinkmontgolfier at 8:45 AM on March 18, 2011

She's not an old flame.

She's the person who took two bites of you and left you on the side of the plate.
posted by Sallyfur at 9:05 AM on March 18, 2011 [2 favorites]

Yeah, nothing about A's ultimatum says she's really concerned with your happiness, just her own. If you want to let her keep toying with you, that's your right, but for the love of God leave poor B alone. Possibly with an explanation that you've realized you aren't yet ready to handle someone who actually makes you happy, because right now drama and a single good lay are enough to distract you.

I'm seeing a lot here about A's ego (Pay! Me! Attention! Or else never talk to me again! Jayzus.) And your ego (The sexy one who got away before I had time to grow bored with her has come back around! You don't even really seem to get that your entertaining A's BS behind your good gfs back is Wrong. It's almost an afterthought up there. "If she read these emails, she'd probably break up with me" should have been concern #1 and big enough to keep said emails from happening) And the only person who *hasn't* screwed up here is the one being shafted. Give B a chance to add her own ego to the mix. I imagine it would go something like this : "I've made you happy for four months. She made you happy for a few hours, then miserable. The fact you even need to think about this means I'll be taking my relationship-ready, well-adjusted self elsewhere."

Really, dude. You may not be able to see yourself breaking up with B, but until you believe and behave as though she is your priority (which isn't super apparent from your post) there's a decent chance she'll pick up on that and break up with you.
posted by OompaLoompa at 9:28 AM on March 18, 2011 [1 favorite]

No point in jumping on the bandwagon, but it seems worth mentioning that this strikes me as a bit off:

In fact, this is all presupposing I break up with B, which is something that I can't even see myself doing, much less to be with someone else, which is a very shitty thing to do.

Huh? There's nothing inherently wrong or "shitty" about ending a relationship to be with someone else, or for any reason whatsoever.

Stringing someone along is shitty, cheating on someone is shitty, breaking up with someone? Not shitty. *

* breaking up with someone via email = shitty

posted by the bricabrac man at 1:00 PM on March 18, 2011 [1 favorite]

Had an opportunity to invest in something I love. They pitched me. Beautiful sales job. I asked questions about day to day operations. My past experience with endeavors like this is that they are highly charged and full of drama. Very little gets done. They came back with a better sales pitch. I said, "See ya!"

I live in Hollywood. I wonder, "is this what any creative goes through when they turn done something that can either be success or failure"

No matter. I'll take the risk and not only follow my heart but protect it. Someone said it before. "The ship has sailed"

So love the one you're with.
posted by goalyeehah at 1:33 PM on March 21, 2011

« Older SF gym for the anti-gymbot   |   Need a line or two of custom PHP for my design... Newer »