Help me identify this cosmic crystal!
March 11, 2011 10:05 AM   Subscribe

Help me identify a crystal/gem.

I have a crystal/rock/gemstone about which, when it was given to me, I was told a few things. In metaphysical lore, the gemstone is meant to help connect a person to the "cosmic realm", to help people connect with outer space or something along those lines. The way it looks - black with white rings - very much resembles the night sky. The name (which I once knew, but have since forgotten) is also something along the same lines - cosmic something, sky something, I just can't remember. Anyone who knows anything about crystals: have you heard of this stone? Does anyone know the name?
posted by jitterbug perfume to Science & Nature (10 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Can you post a picture of it?
posted by orange swan at 10:09 AM on March 11, 2011 [1 favorite]

Is it actually a crystal? (i.e. faceted) Or is it a polished rock? Is it translucent or opaque?
posted by restless_nomad at 10:10 AM on March 11, 2011

Best answer: Snowflake obsidian.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 10:30 AM on March 11, 2011

Maybe a dark astrophyllite? I'm not familiar with the metaphysics, but I wouldn't be surprised if the association there because some pieces can look like stars in the sky.
posted by cobaltnine at 10:31 AM on March 11, 2011

Best answer: Nebula Stone?
posted by iconomy at 10:34 AM on March 11, 2011

Could it be banded onyx?
posted by routergirl at 10:35 AM on March 11, 2011

Could it be Silver Leaf Jasper?
posted by Hanuman1960 at 10:57 AM on March 11, 2011

Response by poster: Thanks so much everyone for the quick responses! It's definitely snowflake obsidian... I knew the name had something to do with the appearance!
posted by jitterbug perfume at 1:44 PM on March 11, 2011

Response by poster: OK... sorry everyone, but now I'm thinking it might be nebula stone. Can someone suggest a way for me to post a picture?
posted by jitterbug perfume at 1:46 PM on March 11, 2011

Response by poster: Used google image search to compare and contrast - definitely nebula stone. Thanks so much!
posted by jitterbug perfume at 2:26 PM on March 11, 2011

« Older Can I ask an ex to return my gift?   |   An SPSS refugee needs a stats package! Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.