Help me remember a stop-motion animated music video.

I half-remember a music video from the early 90s (possibly late 80s) that featured stop-motion animation. Everything in the video was covered with what looked like magnetized iron filings. Does any one know the song and artist?
posted by catastropher to Media & Arts (12 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Aha's "Take On Me"?

posted by infodiva at 8:11 AM on March 4, 2011

Oops -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djV11Xbc914

Tool - Stinkfist ?

Or maybe Sober or Prison Sex ?
posted by The Michael The at 8:15 AM on March 4, 2011

It's not iron filings, but the 16 Horse Power video done by the brothers quay had black and white chalk in stop motion: Black Soul Choir.
posted by elkelk at 8:37 AM on March 4, 2011

It isn't a Tool video, but reminds me a bit of that style. It is possible it was an MTV station ID. In it the stuff kind infests everything. It gets in food and stuff. And it stands up, like when you manipulate iron filings with a magnet.
posted by catastropher at 8:52 AM on March 4, 2011

Brothers Quay's "Stille Nacht"?
posted by codswallop at 9:07 AM on March 4, 2011 [1 favorite]

Peter Gabriel, "Sledgehammer"? See esp. the dancing fruit at 2:24.
posted by MonkeyToes at 10:16 AM on March 4, 2011 [1 favorite]

Came in to say Peter Gabriel, "Sledgehammer."
posted by jbenben at 10:23 AM on March 4, 2011

Came in to say Stille Nacht
posted by muta at 10:48 AM on March 4, 2011

Oh man, it has to be Stille Nacht, which was indeed an MTV promo spot.
posted by The Michael The at 1:50 PM on March 4, 2011

I know what you're talking about. And even if the short wasn't done by the Brothers Quay, you would definitely like them. Likewise, you'd love Jan Svankmajer, who was their major influence.
posted by Afroblanco at 1:52 PM on March 4, 2011

Stille Nacht it is! Thanks, codswallop, muta, & The Michael The! I enjoyed watching the other videos, too. I will definitely check out Jan Svankmajer, Afroblanco. Let me leave you with another video by the Brothers Quay, Michael Penn's Long Way Down (Look What the Cat Drug In).
posted by catastropher at 2:09 PM on March 4, 2011 [1 favorite]

« Older Can a broken dipstick cause a car to lose 2 quarts...   |   Discs + Paper Punch = Circa notebook? Newer »