Under Armour for tall but not big guys?
February 28, 2011 8:18 AM   Subscribe

Under Armour doesn't make tall sizes, but yet lots of pro athletes wear it. My problem is I'm tall but not very big, so what are my alternatives?

I fit comfortably into a L(arge). I practice karate and usually buy cotton tanks in XXL so that they're long enough (I wear a 36" sleeve) and don't worry about them being baggy since they're under my gi top. But cotton is lousy when you sweat and the Under Armour tops look they'd be a great substitute if they're long enough to tuck into my pants.

Any tall but not big guys have experience with either UA or something else they'd care to share?
posted by tommasz to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total)
The Nike\RBK\UnderArmour gear made for pros is made to different specifications than the retail gear. UA doesn't have a big and tall line.
I wear UA like spandex so there isn't a real need to tuck it into my pants.

It might be helpful to give your height, waist and chest size to get more relevant help.
posted by zephyr_words at 8:31 AM on February 28, 2011

My dad actually bought a couple of UA shirts from their women's line by accident. He ended up keeping them because they actually fit better through his arms and shoulders than the men's equivalents when he went back to exchange them. Maybe try something made for ladies?
posted by phunniemee at 8:36 AM on February 28, 2011

I am 6'2 and +5 on the ape index and have always suffered sleeves that are to short. I now wear Helly Hansen. The sleeves are plenty long and the construction and fit is great.
posted by Fuzzy Dog at 8:53 AM on February 28, 2011

This amazing new innovation used by Underarmor tanktops is called "lycra." If you don't need it to be stretchy, regular old nylon tricot can be found in big and tall sizes on Amazon by searching for "big and tall athletic tank tops."
posted by Slap*Happy at 9:39 AM on February 28, 2011

Long torso guy here and I prefer Mountain Hardware as my go-to wicking undershirt.
posted by zombieApoc at 10:27 AM on February 28, 2011

I have had some luck for this sort of thing by looking at running gear such as this from MEC (in Canada), this from REI (US) or this from Sugoi.

Any of the above places will also sell short sleeved cycling jerseys, as will your local bike shop, which will tend to fit a little tighter and may or may not do so with zippers.
posted by mce at 12:13 PM on February 28, 2011

whupps - I really bungled that MEC link, try this instead: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302888494&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442631951
posted by mce at 12:14 PM on February 28, 2011

« Older Help a fat guy buy a new car!   |   My office smells like a casino. Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.