How to control all data being sent/received from Win 7

How do I control all data that my computer is sending/receiving?

I was recently in a situation where I was paying for internet access by the megabyte and found I was using data much faster than I expected. I figured out eventually that Dropbox was the culprit, and later found that Chrome was also sending and receiving data outside of the webpages I had requested.

I have found applications like DU Meter which show how much data is coming up and down, but what I would ideally like is something which also shows which applications or processes are sending/receiving. Does such a thing exist? I am not quite sure what to search for, and have not found anything that seems to do it.

I'm running Win 7 on this machine, but would also like to know if anything of this nature exists for OSX.

Thanks Hive!
posted by StephenF to Computers & Internet (5 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

Little Snitch will do this for OS X.
posted by magicbus at 6:15 PM on February 25, 2011

How about a snitch-ette for Windoze?
posted by ~Sushma~ at 8:00 PM on February 25, 2011

You can use netstat from the command line (or tcpview as a GUI) which will show all TCP and UDP connections by process. However, a connection that is established won't necessarily use any bandwidth if neither side is transmitting, so you can't just assume that a program with an active connection is using bandwidth. For example, an instant messaging or IRC program might establish a connection that is idle for minutes or hours at a time if there are no messages or updates. Also, these applications will only show the state of the connection table at a given time, unlike a log file. For that you could use process monitor and set up the filters to only capture socket events, but that might require some know-how.
posted by Rhomboid at 9:37 PM on February 25, 2011

Windows firewall can be configured to block outgoing connections. You can monitor bandwidth usage in Windows with DUMeter (pay) or Freemeter (free). OSX can use Little Snitch.
posted by damn dirty ape at 11:07 PM on February 25, 2011

I'm pretty sure that the 'Networking' tab of Resource Monitor can show you this, and can be used to close a process/application that's using too much bandwidth.
posted by alby at 1:23 AM on February 26, 2011

« Older Music suggestions for a 12 yo girl   |   Stuck in Cincinatti Newer »