Morph a FB personal account into biz account (not a page)?

Can I convert my Facebook personal account into a business account (not a page)?

In the past (before me) our staff created a Facebook personal page. When I came on board I created a fan page for our brand and used the personal page to message users who had issues. Facebook is now threatening to eliminate our account. There is mention of turning the personal account into a business account but I cannot find a way to actually do this. Thus far it seems to all be business pages, not business accounts.

Anyone know how to do this?

My original contact from Facebook is below:

As you may know, Facebook profiles are intended to represent individual people only. It is a violation of Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities to use a profile to represent a brand, business, group, or organization. As such, your account was disabled for violating these guidelines.

After reviewing the situation, we have temporarily reactivated this account. To avoid being disabled in the future, you should convert your profile to a Page. During this process, all the friends of your profile will be converted to followers of your Page (i.e., people who like it). In addition, the account associated with your profile will be converted to a business account, from which you can administrate your Page and your ad campaigns.

For further information regarding this process, visit the Help Center, here:

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=18918

When you're ready to convert your profile to a Page, click on the link below and follow the instructions on screen:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/create.php?migrate

We ask that you make the necessary changes as soon as possible. If you have additional questions regarding Facebook products and features, please visit our Help Center, here:

http://www.facebook.com/help.php
posted by IzzeYum to Technology (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Can you explain why you don't want it to be a page?
posted by cabingirl at 9:38 AM on February 24, 2011

I think this email from facebook is very clear: You are not allowed to have a Business profile that isn't a page. You used to be able to do that, but not anymore. Business accounts are just accounts that exist to manage a page, and are not really life profiles -- they can't have friends (see, for example, the help pages that facebook linked you to that clearly explain this: "Business accounts have limited access to information on Facebook-when using a business account, you can view all the Pages and Social Ads you own, but you will not be able to view profiles or content owned by other people. Business accounts cannot be found in a search, and the owner of the account will not be able to send or receive friend requests."

You can use the link they gave you to turn your account into a page, and then they will let you change the personal account into a business account that only exists to manage the page. What are you confused about that isn't clearly explained in the helpfiles they linked you to?
posted by brainmouse at 9:49 AM on February 24, 2011 [2 favorites]

"Creating a page" is creating an account for your business. The business cannot have an account, per se, but has to be managed by a real person. When I did this for my old employer, I just had an account that was "Employer Name Me" (so for example, "CostCo Betty") that was attached to my work email address that I used to be the "admin" of that FB page. This may or may not be what they intend to happen when you convert. I've never done exactly this process.

Converting to a page is the only way to get right with the gods of Facebook. If you click on the second link they sent you while you're logged in as the business, then it will start walking you though the process - that much I gathered from clicking on the link myself.
posted by Medieval Maven at 9:52 AM on February 24, 2011

Thus far it seems to all be business pages, not business accounts.

A page is essentially no different than an account, except for the way it is managed. They used to have big differences, but with the latest Facebook updates, they are very similar. There's even a new "Use as a page" feature that lets you use Facebook under the name of the business.
posted by Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug at 9:58 AM on February 24, 2011

Facebook now gives you the ability to "act" as a Page (post, comment, send messages, etc.) if you are an admin of it. Your Account menu (top right) should have a "Use Facebook as a Page" option.
posted by mkultra at 10:00 AM on February 24, 2011

Businesses get pages. People get profiles. There's no such thing as a "business account" on Facebook.

You should take advantage of their offer to convert your friends to fans of a page. If they shut down and deactivate your account, you'll have to start from scratch collecting them again. Pages have many, many benefits over profiles for businesses, including but not limited to: ability to advertise, unlimited fans (profiles are limited to 5,000 friends), stats and insights, and with the latest upgrade of "use as a page", there's basically no downside.

(I manage Pages for my job and teach people how to use Facebook professionally.)
posted by peanut_mcgillicuty at 10:30 AM on February 24, 2011 [1 favorite]

I make facebook applications for a living and peanut_mcgillicuty is 100% right.
posted by jedrek at 11:26 AM on February 24, 2011

peanut_mcgillicuty: There's no such thing as a "business account" on Facebook

If this is true, then why do the facebook help pages linked to above explain what a business account is and how it differs from a personal profile? It appears to just be a way to log in and manage a business page without having to use a personal profile, but that's still a real thing.

https://www.facebook.com/help/?page=18918
What's the difference between a business account and a profile?
Business accounts are designed for people who only want to use Facebook to administer Pages and run ad campaigns. For this reason, business accounts do not have the same features as personal accounts. Business accounts have limited access to information on Facebook-when using a business account, you can view all the Pages and Social Ads you own, but you will not be able to view profiles or content owned by other people. Business accounts cannot be found in a search, and the owner of the account will not be able to send or receive friend requests.
posted by brainmouse at 11:33 AM on February 24, 2011

It appears to just be a way to log in and manage a business page without having to use a personal profile, but that's still a real thing.

It's basically a proto-account for page management. If you go to Facebook without being logged in and try to create a page, it will ask you for an email address. You'll get an email that lets you sign up, but this "account" is solely for managing the page - you can't have fans, friends, or any other connections outside of the page.
posted by Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug at 11:38 AM on February 24, 2011 [1 favorite]

« Older Alternatives to laundering a stuffed animal?   |   Moving out of state -- what do I do with my bank... Newer »