How much is he worth?!?!

What's the asking price for a web developer in the Baltimore/DC area?

My husband, we'll call him Jemaine Clement, just had a phone interview for a web development job in a town near Baltimore. Now the interviewer, we'll call him David Tennant, is asking for Jemaine's salary requirements. We live in Wyoming and right now Jemaine makes about $43k (a comfortable living for our low-cost-of-living state). What figure should he give David Tennant for a salary range?

If it helps, Jemaine has about 4 years of industry experience, no bachelor's degree. The interview went very well and I am told from an inside source that David Tennant quite liked him.

Any help would be much appreciated!
posted by Lobster Garden to Work & Money (9 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Depends on what kind of certifications he has or doesn't have. The half dozen or so web developers I know in Fortune 500 companies make between $50k and $70k.
posted by citywolf at 7:30 PM on February 23, 2011

60-75 depending on the company.

Cost of living here is absurd. Do your research (like this, like craigslist research on rents, etc) and then add 5-10 and ask for that.
posted by ish__ at 7:37 PM on February 23, 2011

According to Glassdoor a "web developer" in Baltimore makes about 55k to 69k. Senior and Lead developers can take that from 75 to 100k.
posted by bitdamaged at 7:42 PM on February 23, 2011

With four years experience and no degree, I'm thinking he will have a tough time getting more than about $50-55k. This industry is all about talent and portfolio, though, so adjust upward if he's got in-demand skills and experience. Also, the terms web developer and designer are mixed quite a bit... people programming web applications can make quite a bit more than front-end designers.
posted by letitrain at 7:45 PM on February 23, 2011

Oh and use these numbers in negotiating but you do NOT have to give a number. If they like you and are making an offer let them tell you how much they are looking to pay.

How to negotiate a salary
posted by bitdamaged at 7:46 PM on February 23, 2011

I work in the field, and I say that ish___ is on the mark, though I would say $55-$65K is fair for a junior web developer, with plenty of room to add on as he acquires skills.
posted by frecklefaerie at 7:23 AM on February 24, 2011

we share the same fantasy men!

I'm going to nth ish__. However, it seems to vary wildly in some up-and-coming tech circles. I have a junior web dev friend who's making over six figures in DC at the moment.
posted by theraflu at 8:32 AM on February 24, 2011

re: bitdamaged. Other research suggests that whoever gives the first number tends to drive the negotiation. Ask high, but plausible. Expect 70% of it.
posted by gregglind at 9:23 AM on February 24, 2011

Similar to the above, find the kind of apartment on Craigslist that you would like (or tend) to live in, and triple the rent. That should be your minimum
posted by rhizome at 1:24 PM on February 24, 2011

« Older Help me control my furnace's blower   |   How to write an acting resume? Newer »