Affordable bed and breakfast, Oxford, England.

Advise and information please on an affordable bed and breakfast in Oxford, UK.

This is for an elderly gay coulple (Late 60's) from California who have only found B&B's at $160 per night so far and suspect there must be something more affordable but still comfortable out there. They are travelling to UK this week so phone nos. or email / web contact would be appreciated.
posted by adamvasco to Travel & Transportation around Oxford, England (5 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I usually find something suitable on this site. I have no experience with B&B's in Oxford specifically, but there should be something suitable.

The very cheap ones may not be too pleasant but £50-60/night usually gets something reasonable.

Check the location maps carefully - many of these are probably outside the city itself.
posted by cell at 11:54 AM on April 24, 2005

(You can check the location quickly by looking at the first part of the postcode. OX1 is the city centre, OX4 is East Oxford, OX3 is Headington, OX2 is north Oxford. Most other postcodes aren't going to be anywhere near the centre)
posted by cillit bang at 2:13 PM on April 24, 2005

I can recommend Mrs Williams' guest house at 14 Holywell Street (+44 1865 721 880) - 35 pounds single / 50 pounds double, inc breakfast. Really nice location in central Oxford, opposite New College.
posted by beniamino at 2:20 PM on April 24, 2005

In the UK, tourist information offices tend to be very good. Here's the Oxford one . It's generally a good idea to just call the office and let them know your requirements (price, location, etc)- they can usually tell you right away which places have rooms available and book it for you. Here's another Oxford tourist org with various price options.
posted by cushie at 3:20 PM on April 24, 2005

My wife and I have stayed at the Galaxie before and enjoyed it. It's on the north end of Oxford (at the edge of Summertown), but the walk to the city centre is very nice. A double is around £100 and the breakfast was lovely.

You'll be away from the hustle of the city centre, but if you don't feel like walking the bus is very convenient.
posted by ahughey at 8:15 PM on April 24, 2005

« Older Antarctica, eh?   |   os x compatible laser printers? Newer »