Online history texts?
February 21, 2011 6:45 AM   Subscribe

Are there any non-American history texts available online, similar to Howard Zinn's A People's History Of The United States?

What I'm looking for are somewhat detailed, cohesive, lengthy, well-researched, well-written history texts about nations other than the United States of America that are also available to fully read online. Resources similar to all of History is a Weapon are helpful, too.

"History" is kind of ambiguous here and that is fine; the texts can range from the overall development of a nation to any other specific, particular facet, though I am more concerned with getting a good picture of historic development over a long period of time (e.g. Zinn's). American history texts aside from Zinn's are okay if they focus on different historic content.

What I'm not looking for and what is not helpful are physical book recommendations, links to partial books on Google reader and anything resembling a Wikipedia or other short article.
posted by Polychrome to Society & Culture (6 answers total) 16 users marked this as a favorite

When you say 'online' do you mean available in a digital form or also available for free?

Because, for example, History Lessons: How Textbooks from Around the World Portray U.S. History is available online in the form of a Kindle ebook. It's a selection of excerpts from non-US school history books showing how various parts of US history are framed and discussed in other countries (e.g. how the American Revolution is taught in the UK).
posted by jedicus at 7:16 AM on February 21, 2011 [2 favorites]

It looks like you can purchase Ienaga Saburo's A History of the Pacific War here. It is an e-book. He was an activist Japanese historian.

There are electronic options if you go through Norton and the other publishing houses. If you are using this for a class, you probably should. It is not really fair to deprive authors of their royalties.
posted by vincele at 7:17 AM on February 21, 2011

What I mean is, there is a wide selection of history titles available for download at publishers websites. Ienaga Saburo's seminal work, mentioned above, is also available in Kindle format.
posted by vincele at 7:18 AM on February 21, 2011

Gibbon's The History Of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire is definitely a "somewhat detailed, cohesive, lengthy, well-researched, well-written history text about a nation other than the United States of America that is also available to fully read online," although it's not really in the same vein as A People's History.
posted by jedicus at 7:25 AM on February 21, 2011

After 2400 years of not allowing his sprawling work The History of the Peloponnesian War to be published online, Thucydides recently relented, after rival antiquarian Herodotus did the same.
posted by richyoung at 7:36 AM on February 21, 2011 [1 favorite]

None better than History Is A Weapon, imho.
posted by history is a weapon at 5:47 PM on February 21, 2011

« Older Art Fundamentals 101 for a quilter   |   I can haz appointment? Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.