Copy-right free hip-hop beats and loops?

Where can you find copyright free high-quality hip hop beats and loops to be used for rapping over? Something that could be used in an iPhone application that will be submitted to the appstore. Prefereably high-quality wav format and fresh!
posted by EricBrotto to Media & Arts (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

The only thing I can think of that's close to what you want is CCMixter. I think there are a couple more community sites in that vein that I can't recall, but those are all Creative Commons Copyright, which have varying restrictions depending on the author/file. Most allow for non-commercial use, but it might be harder to find samples that are free for commercial use as well.

But there's also a whole market of sample CDs (or probably now digital download bundles) for the sole purpose you describe. When purchased, those loop/sample bundles allow you to use them for commercial songs. Bundles range from $5-$100+, but are often pretty bare, and intended to be layered together in a sequencing application.
posted by p3t3 at 4:19 AM on February 21, 2011

You could also try freesound.org.
posted by greatgefilte at 7:19 AM on February 21, 2011 [1 favorite]

The problem with sample CDs is that they are licensed for creative works: albums, bed music, etc. Using the beats in an app might fall under the category of redistribution, which the licenses generally prohibit.
posted by tremspeed at 10:11 AM on February 21, 2011

« Older Cool My Jets   |   Polyface-quality eggs in the Bay Area? Newer »