Restaurant Spike?
April 23, 2005 7:20 AM   Subscribe

When I was a child, the diner my family frequented had a tiny spike by the register where your bill would be impaled after you paid. I'd like the same spike in my home to hold receipts (I have two people using one debit card, eek...) but I can't find it anywhere. I've tried google, restaurant and office supplies sites. I'm a good searcher, but I have the feeling that my inability to find it stems from not knowing what it's called at all. Can anyone help?
posted by FortyT-wo to Shopping (16 answers total)
Spindle. As in do not bend, fold, spindle or mutilate.
posted by zadcat at 7:25 AM on April 23, 2005

poking around on google a bit, it seems "spindle files" is slightly more specific.
posted by andrew cooke at 7:32 AM on April 23, 2005

(but every google hit seems to be a safety warning!)
posted by andrew cooke at 7:33 AM on April 23, 2005

They don't use (maybe don't make) the ones that point straight up any more. People used to occasionally trip and fall on them, killing themselves, or jam it through their hand. The newer style has a U shape at the top.
posted by unrepentanthippie at 7:39 AM on April 23, 2005

They have them at Staples, but they're neutured with a plastic safety cap.
posted by smackfu at 7:40 AM on April 23, 2005

I have definitely seen them at large office supply stores, like Staples, near the desk accessories.
posted by Savannah at 7:47 AM on April 23, 2005

Have you tried froogle. It is Google but for e-commerce sites.
Take a look.
posted by juggler at 7:55 AM on April 23, 2005

What a sick, sad, society we live in. Plastic safety cap? I'm taking that thing down to my basement workshop, firing up my bench grinder and putting such a point on there...
posted by fixedgear at 8:38 AM on April 23, 2005 [3 favorites]

Perhaps you'd prefer antique receipt spikes?

Also check out these wicked little critters available from this site.
posted by naomi at 8:40 AM on April 23, 2005

Easy, fixedgear.. Any spike I've seen with a plastic cap has been nice and pointy, the cap seems to be there for shipping/store display or to be used in between the impaling of receipts.
posted by davey_darling at 8:52 AM on April 23, 2005

My grandfather had one, in the form of a six-inch nail hammered through a small piece of wood. It's not exactly something you'd need to buy.
posted by Faint of Butt at 9:05 AM on April 23, 2005 [1 favorite]

i think they also were used in holdups (why bring a weapon when there's one right next to the cash register?)--i haven't seen one in a long time.
posted by amberglow at 10:03 AM on April 23, 2005

You're going to want to go to a restuarant supply store, such as Restaurant Depot (search for one in your area). They still make them for that market -- pointy, too. Funny you mentioned this, since I spent a lot of time working in restaurants and just last year decided I needed a spike for my receipts. By the way, in restaurant terms, it's just called a spike, as in "Did you spike that dupe already?" A dupe being the duplicate copy of your written order.
posted by Miko at 10:06 AM on April 23, 2005

Make your own. Upright or bent using a cut-down wire coathanger pushed thru a tight-fitting hole in a piece of wood.

Trivia: 'Spiking' a story - i.e. rejecting it - involved the report/copy being put on a spike in the newsroom. The Daily Mail (tedious Little Englander tabloid in the UK) used to use trays as a newsman there had spiked himself in the forehead.
posted by i_cola at 12:06 PM on April 23, 2005

FWIW, I still see them in use at small restaurants pretty frequently.
posted by hattifattener at 11:06 PM on April 23, 2005

Smart and Final carries what you are looking for. I saw several on the shelf today.
posted by phewbertie at 11:05 PM on April 24, 2005

« Older Hitchcock films   |   How addictive is marijuana? Experiences and... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.